Omega centerboard assembly problem

Potato_John

I bought a 1981 omega and the centerboard was not rigged correctly . It had a single cord ( not a bungee) attached to a small padeye on the board. It ran aft to the cam on the floor. I ordered new shock cord and shackles to fix it but the plan made no sense. I believe it is for a 14.2. I don't even have a padeye by the mast foot as shown on the Capri diagram. They must have eliminated it in the later models. Can I just run a bungee cord as it is presently rigged ?. Shouldn't there be another cord to raise the board ?

I bought a 1981 omega and the centerboard was not rigged correctly . It had a single cord ( not a bungee) attached to a small padeye on the board. It ran aft to the cam on the floor. I ordered new shock cord and shackles to fix it but the plan made no sense. I believe it is for a 14.2. I don't even have a padeye by the mast foot as shown on the Capri diagram. They must have eliminated it in the later models. Can I just run a bungee cord as it is presently rigged ?. Shouldn't there be another cord to raise the board ?
John, I recently encountered the same situation on my Omega also. I corrected the problem quite easily by installing a small double bloch with a strap to the cockpit sole just aft of the mast fitting, I then mounted a block to the top aft side of the board with a strap. This block has a becket to attach a piece of line to. This gives a 4 to one pull. The line will run back to the cam lock located near the barney post. This will lift the board very easily and lock it in the up position. I mounted a small eyebolt in the top front of thr barney post. This allows me to connect bungy cords to the board which will hold it in thr down position, but will allow it to move up if it makes contact with the bottom etc. The board will float up if not being held down. The single line could be used to hold the board down in deep water with no risk of hitting anything. Costs less than $20. to rig and takes only ten minutes, but really works great. Charley

Charley , Thank you. Sounds like the strap is just run through a pin on the mast sole. Is this correct? If you happen to have a photo on file it may help. If not please don't go out of your way to get one. I get the idea and I thank you. John

Charley , Thank you. Sounds like the strap is just run through a pin on the mast sole. Is this correct? If you happen to have a photo on file it may help. If not please don't go out of your way to get one. I get the idea and I thank you. John
John, There is wood under the glass in the area of the mast step. I found it to be a solid,mounting place and be sure to put plenty of sealer in the holes. I dont have any pictures at this time, but i will try to get some . I plan to sail Saturday and will get plenty of all the things i have done. Charley

Back