Omega a "tippy" boat?

sgreenie

My husband and I recently purchased a beautiful little sailboat, Capri Omega. It seemed deeper than alot of small boats, so we assumed it would be very stable. It seems very "tippy" to us....do others feel that way or is it just us? We had read it's a very stable boat, but it sure doesn't feel that way. We've only been able to have it out a few times since we bought it, so maybe we just have to get used to it? We're both alittle disappointed in it, since it gives us the feeling we're gonna go over if either of us move around at all. Just wondered if others feel the same way about the boat and it's not really that easy to go over?

My husband and I recently purchased a beautiful little sailboat, Capri Omega. It seemed deeper than alot of small boats, so we assumed it would be very stable. It seems very "tippy" to us....do others feel that way or is it just us? We had read it's a very stable boat, but it sure doesn't feel that way. We've only been able to have it out a few times since we bought it, so maybe we just have to get used to it? We're both alittle disappointed in it, since it gives us the feeling we're gonna go over if either of us move around at all. Just wondered if others feel the same way about the boat and it's not really that easy to go over?
The boats are all the same,except for certain quirks, but not really tippy. I can stand and walk around in mine and feel that it is pretty stable for a 14 footer. Sailing a dink is a lot of fun and very exciting, even scary sometimes. These boats do not have a weighted keel or any kind of ballast to make them more stable. That is left to the crew to provide and controll by moving around in the boat. Heavier crews will naturally have to concentrate and work together as a team. Learn to hold the main sheet in your hands along with the tiller extension. Hold on with the free hand. Learn how to de-power the sails and when you have reached your limit in wind speed. Practice capsize drills and climbing back aboard, then you will not be fearful of tipping over. I have a little Holder 12 which is like a lazer. THAT boat IS tippy, but really fun. Put more time on the boat and you will get to love it. Have fun, Charley

The boats are all the same,except for certain quirks, but not really tippy. I can stand and walk around in mine and feel that it is pretty stable for a 14 footer. Sailing a dink is a lot of fun and very exciting, even scary sometimes. These boats do not have a weighted keel or any kind of ballast to make them more stable. That is left to the crew to provide and controll by moving around in the boat. Heavier crews will naturally have to concentrate and work together as a team. Learn to hold the main sheet in your hands along with the tiller extension. Hold on with the free hand. Learn how to de-power the sails and when you have reached your limit in wind speed. Practice capsize drills and climbing back aboard, then you will not be fearful of tipping over. I have a little Holder 12 which is like a lazer. THAT boat IS tippy, but really fun. Put more time on the boat and you will get to love it. Have fun, Charley

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if there is a difference between the newer Capri's and the 80's Omega's? We had a Sunfish in the past and a Sunbird, both boats we were able to move around, even stand and walk around without getting that, "we're going over" feeling. Our Omega makes us feel like we can't just move around comfortably. It's sort of odd...almost makes us feel like there's something wrong with the boat, but can't imagine what would be wrong with one boat to make it unstable. It's in perfect shape.
Anyway, thanks again!

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if there is a difference between the newer Capri's and the 80's Omega's? We had a Sunfish in the past and a Sunbird, both boats we were able to move around, even stand and walk around without getting that, "we're going over" feeling. Our Omega makes us feel like we can't just move around comfortably. It's sort of odd...almost makes us feel like there's something wrong with the boat, but can't imagine what would be wrong with one boat to make it unstable. It's in perfect shape.
Anyway, thanks again!
Just one thing comes to mind. The bottom hull shape on the capri is more round instead of having hard chines like most small boats. I had a Potter 15 that was so stable i could walk all over the boat. It had a flat bottom with hard chines. The same thing is true with big boats as well. Charley

Back