Omega 14 Questions

Uh Clem

Hello to all, I am new to the forum.. I just acquired a 1972 Omega 14 (Hull 575) from a guy who had it sitting in his yard for the last 15 years and wanted it out. I haven't messed with sailboats in over 30 years and with retirement looming I figured this boat looks like it will sail again with some TLC etc.... It's got a new set of sails with battens, and the deck fittings looks like they never saw salt water in their life. The fiberglass seems pretty solid and the transom seems sound as well. However as you might imagine, there are a few things missing and I still have a few mysteries. First mystery is that I don't see a Barney Post and not even screw holes for one....anyone ever seen this? The other question is whether anyone knows if I can obtain hardware for the existing jib travelers? Any help is appreciated...Thanks in advance.

Well, I think I answered some of my own questions....I spent a little time here searching the forum and found some great info and a great place for parts . Happy sailing!

Uh Clem, Sounds like you figured out the problems. Thought I would let you know there is an owners manual on the lonestar omega site. You need to scroll to the bottom of the pics. It has some good diagrams on the setup and rigging for the omega. Can't imagine one without a Barney Post.

I have picked up two Omega 14's and plan on getting one good boat put together from the two. I have two of most parts but have no boom or gooseneck. I found a gooseneck for the Omega 14 online and I wonder if I can use a section of one mast for a boom. I have never seen an Omega rigged with a boom other than pictures online and can't really see if I could make my idea work. Anyone have any advice I would appreciate it.

My Omega didn't come with a barney post so I made one that works fine. Originally it had a cleat on the floor behind the CB slot and that was too far back and too low.
If you google Omega 14 you might see my blog with some diagrams that might help.

Jim, Thanks for the link. I have read your blog and hope you add to it regularly. You are the only person I have had any communication with that owns an Omega 14. As I said in my first post I have two Omega 14's and the funny thing is I got them about 5 years apart and they are sisters! Hull numbers 2057 and 2058. Can you tell me if the boom is smaller in diameter than the mast? I wonder if I can use a section of one mast to make a boom.

Hello to all, I am new to the forum.. I just acquired a 1972 Omega 14 (Hull 575) from a guy who had it sitting in his yard for the last 15 years and wanted it out. I haven't messed with sailboats in over 30 years and with retirement looming I figured this boat looks like it will sail again with some TLC etc.... It's got a new set of sails with battens, and the deck fittings looks like they never saw salt water in their life. The fiberglass seems pretty solid and the transom seems sound as well. However as you might imagine, there are a few things missing and I still have a few mysteries. First mystery is that I don't see a Barney Post and not even screw holes for one....anyone ever seen this? The other question is whether anyone knows if I can obtain hardware for the existing jib travelers? Any help is appreciated...Thanks in advance.
This is just a note to the guys with the Omega 14's who are looking for parts. I have an ad in the Classified section selling a complete Capri 14.2 (less the hull). I have sold many of the parts but I still have a centerboard, a boom, the jib travelers, and most of the hardware. You can send me an email with your needs and I will respond . You can reach me at [email protected]. I am located in NY , zip 12563.

The boom looks like abouit 2.25 inches, and the long measurement of the mast is about 3" so no. I would make a boom from wood if you have wood working tools or have a skillful friend who can help. I have made 2 booms and a mast for various small boats in the past. To get the grove you can make the boom in two parts (router out half the grove on two sides) and glue them together. The other options would be putting on a track atop the boom, but that would have be putting the slides for the track on the mainsail. Or you could make your boom loose footed. Lido 14's have a loose footed boom, and i rather liked sailing those. You would have to ask a sail maker if the sail would have to be modified to be efficient sailing it loose footed. I see on line a metal grove that might fit on top of a wood boom. Not sure of size or availability. Google sail track and see what you find
images

The boom looks like abouit 2.25 inches, and the long measurement of the mast is about 3" so no. I would make a boom from wood if you have wood working tools or have a skillful friend who can help. I have made 2 booms and a mast for various small boats in the past. To get the grove you can make the boom in two parts (router out half the grove on two sides) and glue them together. The other options would be putting on a track atop the boom, but that would have be putting the slides for the track on the mainsail. Or you could make your boom loose footed. Lido 14's have a loose footed boom, and i rather liked sailing those. You would have to ask a sail maker if the sail would have to be modified to be efficient sailing it loose footed. I see on line a metal grove that might fit on top of a wood boom. Not sure of size or availability. Google sail track and see what you find
images
Jim, Thank you very much for the information and advice. I hope to get thing finished for next year.

Back