Omega 14 centerboard trunk seals

saltyb

I a refitting an Omega 14. The centerboard trunk seals are pretty raggy. Are they interchangeable with the Capri 14.2 and if so where can I purchase a set??

re ;CB gasket set

the part #85034 gasket set is for the14.2 Don't know if it would fit the omega 14 or not. You could call Catalina Yachts @ 818 884-7700 and ask for parts to check. The technical staff seem knowledgable and helpful. I'm also doing a partial refit of my new/old Omega 14.
Fair winds,
Sailorkev

Thanks guys.

Thanks for all the info. I am awaiting a response from Catalina concerning the gasket kit.
Catomega, did you use the kit or other material for your retrofit?
What is the chunk of steel in the floor of the cuddy?
I have a friend in South Carolina who has also rebuilt an Omega 14. He has added a self-tending jib arrangement as well as redoing the cockpit bringing all lines aft. If you are interested, I will contact him and bring him into the loop.
Saltyb

centerboard gasket

The Sailboat store in Austin has the Omega parts manual, gasket set is #10758. They will call Catalina next week and see if the part is available. There phone number is 888.747.8849. At the store now, noticed other parts are also listed

please contact SC Omega sailor

saltyb said:
Thanks for all the info. I am awaiting a response from Catalina concerning the gasket kit.
Catomega, did you use the kit or other material for your retrofit?
What is the chunk of steel in the floor of the cuddy?
I have a friend in South Carolina who has also rebuilt an Omega 14. He has added a self-tending jib arrangement as well as redoing the cockpit bringing all lines aft. If you are interested, I will contact him and bring him into the loop.
Saltyb
Very interested in what your friend did. BTW, send me some photos of your/his Omega, would like to add them my blog

Thanks John Wallace

An Omega rebuild in South Carolina

I have sent a request to my friend for pics of his work.
I hope he comes through because the work is inspiring.
Gil Blake

new centerboard gasket from Catalina!

:) I got the parts from the Sailboat Shop, different gasket, new parts fit exactly as planned. There are several Omega parts still available from Catalina. The parts were about $25.00

Part Numbers

Hi Catomega,
Thanks for remembering my question. Do you have any part numbers? I sent Catalina an inquiry two weeks ago, but have yet to receive a reply. Perhaps a dealer is the best way to go?
Fair Winds,
Saltyb
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I recently installed the new gasket kit on my ‘73 Omega. I’m not happy, as the thinner cloth material has gone down wavy along the hull, tight at the screws and loose in between, no matter what I tried. Yes, I laid the plastic trim over the gasket material, if you were wondering! I am worried the wavy surface will present significant friction. The original gasket was rubber with thicker, stiffer plastic trim. I haven’t sailed the boat yet. There is still significant work to be done on her. Poor girl hasn’t been in the water for 30 years and spent a lot of time baking in a parking lot.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with the new gasket? Should I have used some adhesive in addition to the screws?

I also found it weird that the cloth strips overlap about 3/4”. The original rubber strips met along the centerline of the slot.

Speaking of centerboards: I’m afraid I may have permanently screwed up my teak (mahogany?) centerboard, while trying to refurbish it. I am looking for a used one, wood or fiberglass. New fiberglass boards cost almost $600, probably more than my old dear is worth. Anybody know of a source?

I sure would like to get this gal in the water soon, disregarding the hull pox (that will have to be addressed down the line). I have fond memories of sailing her in the San Juan Islands (WA), on Monterey Bay (CA), the Willamette River (Portland) and various lakes for two decades. She was not fast, but reliable, dry and steady on the water!

Back