Omega 14 and Capri 14.2 differences?

c14_Jim

Sailing on Shelter Bay
I recently purchased a restored Catalina Omega 14. I would like to know what the difference is between the Omega, the Capri/catalina 14.2 and the Capri 14 is. I know the later boats have a fore deck covering, and mine is all open. Are the dimensions the same? I have been doing some measuring and will probably put together a spreadsheet of those measurements and do a Cadd drawing. Has anyone already done that for the Omega? I would be willing to share that info if not. I haven't been able to find the sail dimensions for the Omega and am wondering if they are the same as the Capri 14. The sails that came with my boat are junk, and the main is about 18" short of the end of the boom. I may be replacing them soon.

Oh hey this is somewhat unrelated, but if you want to know the difference between your boat and a capri then we should go sailing in silverdale or wherever is convenient. I was just beginning to wonder if there were any washington sailors on this forum.

The Omega carries smaller sail area than the 14.2 Omega's main/jib is 70/40 sq ft versus 75/48 on the 14.2. If I remember right the Omega also has a spreaderless rig .

the Omega's Main luff is a foot and a half shorter than the 14.2 . the Omega main foot is slighty longer by couple of inches.

the Jibs are close in luff length but the 14.2 has a 12inch longer foot

SLO sails I believe makes sails for the Omega 14

Also the 14.2 has Fiberglass composite foils while the Omega uses wood blades

Have fun

Rob

Yep,

Yep, My Omega (#512) is a rig without spreaders. Thanks for pointing out the differences, apparently a C-14 sail would not work on my rig. Jim

Kyle,
I live in a small community just south of Foulweather bluff. We have a small harbor that is fun to play around in, and Hood Canal of course, when the weather is just right. We have a community launching ramp. Perhaps you can bring yours up this summer and launch here and compare the two boats.

yes that would be great. my personal email is xlorkhanx AT gmail DOT com

do let me know when you are wanting to sail. I have been out quite a bit this season and the drive up to PG is only like 25 or 30 minutes for me.

You might be able to , the longer luff would mean a lower boom though . for the jib , if the halyard is high enough it could work too , you would have the longer foot - more overlap . depends on your placement of the Jib tracks .

Rob

Omega 14 Mast length

Do you know how long your mast it? Mine was repaired and I want to find out how much length was lost.

Thanks

sailing in wa

I have a capri 14.2, and I have a lot on the hood canal near quilcene, and I would love to sail with you guys this summer if it works out

Back