News Olympic selection

jonemmett

Well the Olympic classes (or at least the type of boats) in the 2012 Olympics will be decided in the next few weeks. Hopefully the Laser and the Radial will both keep there places. Some interesting discussion can be found on www.yachtsandyachting.com and www.sailjuiceblog.com . Why not have some discussion here? As the choices made by ISAF will have a huge impact on our class!!!

jonemmett said:
....Why not have some discussion here? As the choices made by ISAF will have a huge impact on our class!!!
1.):
Welcome to TLF, Jon, and allways have much fun here. I know, you are not only a very active and really successful sailor on the water, but also very active with fantastic replies at the forum of the Dinghy Sailing Magazine.

2.):
have a look here: http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=5559
There, we already did begin such a discussion, in the past, a few months ago.

Ciao
LooserLu

Re: Olympic selection Laser and Finn in

I don't think anyone will ever have to worry about the Laser remaining an Olympic Class in consideration of its availability and prevalence. This would appear to be confirmed for both men and women at Friday's ISAF meeting. The Finn is still in, which makes sense, since many of their top competitors started in Lasers, but outgrew them, consistent with biometric data showing taller, heavier populations.

http://www.isaf.org/21257.php

J

I don't think anyone will ever have to worry about the Laser remaining an Olympic Class ...

Unless I'm mistaken, they haven't decided upon any of the classes to be sailed yet, simply the divisions.
The laser radial could easily be replaced by the splash/europe etc, and the laser could go out in favour of something fast, like the RS700, or even a foiling moth! Well, who knows! As for the Finn, they chose a heavyweight singlehander, but the actual class hasn't been chosen, maybe they'll pick the rooster 8.1. What would that do for laser's standings?
There's still a hope that the 470 gets booted as womens double in favour of a skiff type design, most likely the newly redesigned RS800 or 29erXX.

I don't think anyone will ever have to worry about the Laser remaining an Olympic Class in consideration of its availability and prevalence. This would appear to be confirmed for both men and women at Friday's ISAF meeting. The Finn is still in, which makes sense, since many of their top competitors started in Lasers, but outgrew them, consistent with biometric data showing taller, heavier populations.

http://www.isaf.org/21257.php

J

According to the ISAF website, these are the ten events (no classes named):

The ten events selected by the ISAF Council for the 2012 Olympic Sailing Competition are:
One person dinghy - Men
One person dinghy heavy - Men
Two person dinghy - Men
Two person dinghy high performance - Men
Windsurfer - Men
Keelboat - Men
One person dinghy - Women
Two person dinghy - Women
Keelboat match racing - Women
Windsurfer - Women

Conspicuously missing is any catamaran class.

Unless I'm mistaken, they haven't decided upon any of the classes to be sailed yet, simply the divisions.
The laser radial could easily be replaced by the splash/europe etc, and the laser could go out in favour of something fast, like the RS700, or even a foiling moth! Well, who knows! As for the Finn, they chose a heavyweight singlehander, but the actual class hasn't been chosen, maybe they'll pick the rooster 8.1. What would that do for laser's standings?
There's still a hope that the 470 gets booted as womens double in favour of a skiff type design, most likely the newly redesigned RS800 or 29erXX.

Aaron is correct. The class/boat issue will be decided next November, so I have read on Sailing Anarchy:
http://www.sailinganarchy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63223

PS: The link above is a good place to vent your anger :mad: about the deletion of the cats from the 2012 Olympics, should you be inclined to do so.....

As far as I'm concerned until ISAF even starts to consider a Mens Radial in place of this so called heavy weight divion they will be a disfunctional group ..Lance Armtrong recently said after running under 2:50 in the NY Marathon
"It’s no accident that the best in the world weigh 120 pounds." ...

A Mens Radial Division would out perform a Heavyweight Division in every positive aspect of the sport...

Embarrased ISAF represent me...Fred A

Another group of "weight banned" sailors would be those athletes who are over 100 kilos. If sailing were as popular and universal a sport as boxing and as easy to televise and sell to advertisers, there could be weight classes for sailing just as there are weight classes for wrestling and boxing.

If you want to solve the "no event for guys like you problem," invite a friend sailing and another and another and maybe someday sailing will be popular enough and profitable enough for the Olympic corporation to see additional profit which would warrant additional events.

Please note, there are more old farts sailing Lasers than Olympic age competitors and after 1998 Sailing was dropped altogether from the World Masters Games.

I agree ..more divisions..
for woman.. a lightweight ( euro or byte), a middleweight( radial) and heavyweight( full rig)
for men... a radial, full rig and finn..

Back