Olympic coverage/Rio 2016

LaserBill

I have been looking forward to watching the coverage of the Laser sailing in the Olympics. It was supposed to start today but the NBC online feed is not working. Does anyone know how to see the coverage, or when the day's summary will be on broadcast TV?

I have been looking forward to watching the coverage of the Laser sailing in the Olympics. It was supposed to start today but the NBC online feed is not working. Does anyone know how to see the coverage, or when the day's summary will be on broadcast TV?
Once I turned on the live stream, I saw a bit of RSX (men) sailing.
Waiting for the Radials but it looks like another RSX race will come first.
There seems to be plenty of wind
Olympic sailing Day 3: Men's RS:X, women's Laser Radial

I think (!) that one can watch 30 min for free; then one has to sign into your program provider to see if your subscription 'qualifies'.
Not sure about this; somebody please confirm

Once I turned on the live stream, I saw a bit of RSX (men) sailing.
Waiting for the Radials but it looks like another RSX race will come first.
There seems to be plenty of wind
Olympic sailing Day 3: Men's RS:X, women's Laser Radial

I think (!) that one can watch 30 min for free; then one has to sign into your program provider to see if your subscription 'qualifies'.
Not sure about this; somebody please confirm

Thanks. I keep getting a message that says:"This video is not available due to location restrictions or authorization failures." I have no idea what that means since I can get streaming Olympic coverage for other sports, just not the sailing. Anyone know what is going on?

1:45 PM on the East Coast
Laser Radial race #2 is about to start, although one never knows...
Annalise Murphy won the first one; Evi van Acker was 2nd
Page R finished 15

Race 2
Murphy was patient and won the boat end. She is looking good going upwind
Xu went the other way
System (?) conked out and I missed the windward mark rounding.
After the downwind leg, Scheidt first through the gate, Xu second, Railey fourth

Last edited:
Upwind again (3rd leg): Xu and Scheidt are battling it out;
First cross: Xu ahead, but second cross Scheidt; it's close
Scheidt first around the windward mark, Xu second and Railey (who came in on port tack and had to duck) third. All within one boat length of one another. Xu tends to be really fast down wind...

Last edited:
Fourth leg:
Notwithstanding what I wrote, Scheidt continues to lead and Croatia has joined the battle up front.
Through the gate and going home (a short reach) Scheidt, Railey, Mihelic (Croatia), Xu, Bouwmeester.

PS: Gintare Scheidt is sailing under the Lithuanian flag.

Last edited:
This 2D tracker is pretty cool (when you've first updated your Java, and finally catch the signal after a number of tries): Online Race Viewer
Some info here, too: Live Blog
The results show up much faster on the Rio site than the WS site: Sailing

Also tried to watch TV footage provided by our national broadcasting corporation, but the feed kept stopping every few minutes. Hope it was just some bug they can fix for the rest of the games.

Just like predicted, it looks like it's going to be a wild week of ups and downs.

Just like predicted, it looks like it's going to be a wild week of ups and downs.

Even though Xu was fourth across the finish line (second race), it looks like she was disqualified.
And did Gintare Scheidt get dq'd in the first Radial race?

What happened?

Last edited:
Even though Xu was fourth across the finish line (second race), it looks like she was disqualified.

What happened?
Xu did her turns but too close to the 'action'. That must hurt!

From the ISAF website:

Protest No. 2
Event:
Race:
Protestor:
USA
Protestee: CHN
Protest details:
Description:

Facts found:
1.CHN and USA were close-hauled on starboard tack about 3 boat lengths from the windward mark. CHN's track was ahead and to leeward of USA's track 2. CHN tacked to port onto a collision course with USA. USA immediately bore away and passed astern of CHN. 3 USA hailed "Protest" immediately, and again 5 seconds later, and again 4 seconds later as CHN passed the mark. 3.CHN heard the second hail of protest when she was on starboard tack approaching the mark. She rounded the mark and began her two-turns penalty, 10 seconds after she first heard the hail of protest. 4. There were no boats to windward of CHN as she approached the mark on starboard tack.
Conclusion:
1. CHN on port failed to keep clear of USA on starboard and broke RRS 10. 2. CHN did not get well clear of other boats as soon after the incident as possible, Therefore, her penalty turns did not exonerate her for her breach of RRS 10.
Rule(s) applicable:
Decision:
CHN DSQ in race 2
Short decision:
CHN DSQ in race 2
Jury:

And did Gintare Scheidt get dq'd in the first Radial race?
The WS Twitter said she got U-flagged.

Xu did her turns but too close to the 'action'. That must hurt!
... 3.CHN heard the second hail of protest when she was on starboard tack approaching the mark. She rounded the mark and began her two-turns penalty, 10 seconds after she first heard the hail of protest. 4. There were no boats to windward of CHN as she approached the mark on starboard tack.
Conclusion:
... CHN did not get well clear of other boats as soon after the incident as possible, Therefore, her penalty turns did not exonerate her for her breach of RRS 10.
Sounds like she did her turns too late. Ten seconds is too much (if there's space around you)!
Xu is an extremely aggressive sailor.
Aren't they all, at this event?

Tina Mihelić got disqualified, too, in the first race for a totally useless windward/leeward contact with Philipine van Aanholt.

Protests

Aren't they all, at this event?

From what I remember in 2012, she's particularly adept at messing with other sailors' heads.

edit - Though it appears she got the better of herself in yesterday's race. That sometimes happens.

Last edited:
After the second day of racing and four races, Xu has a five-point lead... and requests the reopening of yesterday's protest.

I'm paying more than a small fee to Time-Warner every month and still have a marginal streaming experience with too many commercials.

I wonder if Netflix is considering ever bidding on Olympic coverage.

Last edited:
So... it's possible to break a rudder fitting by hitting it with another boat at the right angle, even in fairly light conditions: Olympic Team Finland on Twitter

The reason she's still smiling? She was given redress (average points) and is in bronze position now :cool:

I'm paying more than a small fee to Time-Warner every month and still have a marginal streaming experience with too many commercials.

I wonder if Netflix is considering ever bidding on Olympic coverage.

tell me about it, im paying a lot also to comcast/nbc and specifically when i want to watch xu 3rd and 4th race comeback i cant:mad:

i gotta say im been watching her since london 2012 and honestly shes amazing (in my opinion at least) she always some how makes a comeback :eek::eek::eek: shes always tacking the wrong way:confused::confused: and bammm after 5 minutes she comes back blazing fast passes everybody gets penalties and still gets back and win races how??????????
my opinion is she must have some kind of electric motor:p:p:p:p:p:p cuz thats impossible lol or possible super lungs and shes blowing the sails with her own wind :p:p:p

Ok, i know beggars can't be choosers and i'm grateful that nbc has the live stream and replays so i can watch what i can on my computer (because, you know, nbc doesn't deem sailing a real Olympic sport) but you can't tell me there isn't a live stream of all the races somewhere? There were 12 races on day 4 alone. The cameras didn't just disappear! I want to see the laser races! Where online can i go? Does anyone know?

It looks like the way the TV rights are, we see only some races live, and the rest will be available to view only after the games. On Youtube, it says "Timed livestream has not yet begun" on the videos in question.

Not everything is filmed, either. Yesterday, the commentator on our national TV said that the conditions on the outer courses were such that it was too hard to use TV cameras there, which is why we saw only RS:Xs that day.

I've been watching on nbcolympics.com, the coverage is fantastic! If i miss the live stream i can immediately go back and watch the full replay. And the best part is there is no commentary so i don't have to listen to that idiot meredith vierra tell me how to think! And don't get me wrong, i'm grateful that i'm able to watch the sailing. I just wish i could go back and watch the full replays of all the laser races. Maybe Tokyo. Too bad the Star boats are out this year.
Oh, and LaLi, i finally did buy me a laser! About a month ago. It's a 1996 or so, i'm not at home to look up the number at the mome to be exactly sure of the year, but it's a good project boat for me to learn on and to fix up so i can learn how to rig it all up on my own. The guy 'wanted' $1k but i got it for $900 and it came with a trailer. It's in pretty good shape as far as I know. Hopefully the Atlanta Yacht Club will help me out teaching me how to fix it up and what.

im also in the US and i find the sailing transmission has been deficient, i really really wanted to watch xu 3rd and 4th reace and instead NBC just had rsx that day!! from time to time is very choppy. (its not my connection as its one of comcast top tiers)
no commentators?????? ( kinda see your point of not having to listen somebody else thoughts but common on !!!!)

No way, i love having no commentary! And as far as connection issues on all of my other devices, (i.e. tablet, iphone, desktop) it sucks but i have use of an Acer ChromeBook and it's amazing! It may buffer once every 10 minutes & i can live with that.

Maybe if you mask your IP address you can get an Aussie or Euro feed. I agree. It's frustrating to see a race and way off in the background, you see the men's full rigs racing around.

really?? i was kinda hoping for the mask ip trick!

so wait theres no video of the 3rd and 4th race of xu?? (as you can see im on a quest to proof she kinda have an electric motor or super lungs to propel herself lol:p:p)
i really dont get how she always seems to overcome penaltys, and always seems to sail on the least favored side,tack and still go faster.
PLUS in theory shes on the light side for even radial:eek:

Still no TV from the Laser course but the 2D tracker worked pretty well today.

In both fleets, the top three have pulled ahead - Rindom, Bouwmeester and Murphy in the women and Stipanović, Scheidt and Burton in the men. Rindom actually has a 10-point lead and is getting hard to beat. The guys in the medal positions are within 5 points of each other.

Rio 2016
Rio 2016

Looks like tomorrow will feature Men's Laser.

Scheidt is a definite inspiration to master's sailors everywhere.

Back