Oldest known glass Sunfish

I believe I have the oldest glass sunfish in the world! I pulled the hull from a dumpster in Harwich Mass. (Cape Cod) it was a blue hull with blue deck. It had the small oval brass Alcort tag at the bow.
It was in deplorable condition, but all the hardware, rudder and board, were still with it.
THE BRONZE RUDDER CASTING WAS STAMPED #36
I think this may be the oldest surviving original hull!
I repaired the cracks and leaks and reattached the loose foam. I dried the boat with ports and light bulbs for an entire winter. I sanded and shaped the original board and rudder and shaped them into foils, and varnished with 10 coats. (they are stunning) I polished the bronze and clear coated it.
next, I refinished the hull with Perfection two part paint in Flag Blue with bright yellow and white deck stripes. I added a cuningham , and outhaul to the rig, as well as a hiking strap. when the hull was finished it was gleaming as if showroom new with perfect mahogany and bronze hardware. the hull weight was 130 lbs.
I bought a new racing sail, and built a beach dolly and mast-up cover, and brought it to Bucks Pond to race in a 15 boat sunfish fleet!
Despite the old style board and rudder I had great boat speed and took First place in last weeks (Aug 2014)
annual invitational championship regatta.
Last year I won second place with the boat as well. I couldn't be happier with the old girl, and believe she would be competitive in any sunfish fleet. It is beautiful to look at, has more history vs any other Sunfish except for the wood boats and hulls 1 through 35, but I doubt they still exist!
Mike Schreibman
239 896 7552

Those old 100% baby blue boats were very cool. Believe their sails had 3 white panels and 2 baby blues. Would love to see one of those.

Back