Older boat better condition, or newer but rougher?

Eric Owsley

I'm sure this question has been asked many times in many ways on this forum. I apologize for asking again.

If I have a line on an older, pre-71 Sunfish, single-family owned, stored indoors and recently cleaned and waxed vs. any number of slightly newer models with modern rudder hardware but rougher all around, which would you choose? Assume the price difference is negligible.

Follow-up question, would a significantly newer Sunfish clone, say Phantom, in good condition change the equation?

I know I'm looking for dry, stiff, and without apparent signs of damage. Beyond that, I know I just want a reliable family daysailor and something I can participate in not-too-cmpetitive Sunfish events like the Hampton Roads Sunfish Challenge on occasion. The older style rudder gives me pause, but perhaps that is due to misconception. I appreciate any advice you all have to offer.

Thanks,
Eric

The new rudder is much better, the storage in the cockpit of a newer boat is nicer, and the rolled edge is more comfortable than metal, so I would go newer. Personally I don't want anything to do with a Phantom. They are all old at this point, parts are almost impossible to get, and the fixed rigging points for the gooseneck and halyard were not a wise idea.

Ditto boathead. My son is probably the only person in the world who actually prefers the old style rudder.... I have no idea why. There just a pain in heavy wind. Personally I'd go with the Sunfish... Much easier to get parts, holds its' value better, and even in club races you'll be even up Portsmouth-wise with the other boats you're racing.

Go newer if possible, but avoid a Pearson boat (Hull I.D. starts with "PSB") as the decks crack, mast tubes tend to fail and most leak. Also, the older boats had open cell interior foam and tend to be heavy. Ditto the comments on the new style (post-1972) rudder system. It is a better system, but the old style works if you fiddle with it.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Go newer if possible, but avoid a Pearson boat (Hull I.D. starts with "PSB") as the decks crack, mast tubes tend to fail and most leak. Also, the older boats had open cell interior foam and tend to be heavy. Ditto the comments on the new style (post-1972) rudder system. It is a better system, but the old style works if you fiddle with it.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
When did they quit using open cell interior foam? What is there now?

Until very recently, we had to two 1960s Sunfish (sold one this summer). Yes, the newer rudder is nicer with the pop up option and the extra storage in the cockpit, but I would take a solid, old Sunfish (with the history known) over something in rougher condition with part scarcity. We haven't done a rudder conversion and probably won't, though many people on here have done it and you can use the search box to get details on the threads.

All the other parts are interchangeable between the years, so the rudder is the only big thing, and that's only if you must have the newer style.

Thanks all for your advice. The need to acquire a boat in time for a vacation and in a relatively convenient location off the I-81 corridor. The Phantom fit my criteria best. I tossed the boat in the water immediately after arriving at the lake, sailed for 5 solid days and don't have a single regret. Thanks, again.

Back