Old Wooden Fish Pictures and Vertical Hinge Plate Problems/Questions

Hey Guys,
So I finally got that vertical hinge plate but it seems like its not the Right One.
Any Help?
Any way Heres some pictures of the boat, the Plate, and the pin that go through the rudder metal things(I have 2, one from the vertical plate that I bought and the original one).
Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC05859.jpg
    DSC05859.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC05860.jpg
    DSC05860.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC05863.jpg
    DSC05863.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC05869.jpg
    DSC05869.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC05870.jpg
    DSC05870.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC05876.jpg
    DSC05876.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 69
I think that the problem is that a wooden Sunfish has a shorter transom than a glass Sunfish. The part you got came from a Glass Fish. I think the plate off a Sailfish may be the same height, and you might be able to find one of those. Sailfish had a shorter transom in both wood and glass than a Sunfish. If the plate off a Sailfish is not the right size, then your only hope is to find a plate off a wooden Fish, which will be a challenge.

By the way, the boat looks great. BB

Beldar is correct. Looking at your photo of the transom, the bronze vertical plate is too long and probably came off a pre-1972 fiberglass Sunfish. I have in my hand a bronze vertical plate that I believe came off a Sailfish. It measures 4 1/4" long and 1 3/8" wide at the top where it attaches to the horizontal plate screwed to the deck. If this is what you need, I will sell it to you for $15 -US- and you pay postage. Reply and let me know and we can work out the logistics.

The boat looks great. You obviously know your way around a wood shop. As for the holes in the topsides, I have no idea, but if they go all the way through to the inside of the hull, they need to be plugged before your first sail as the inside of the hull will fill up the first time the topside is submerged.

Please reply regarding the vertical plate and good luck with your project.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I wish you had posted this three days ago. I just brought my pre 1972 rudder hinge in to be welded.. I still haven't got it back. If it gets botched I'd be interested in buying yours.
Does anyone know - are wood boats lighter than fiberglass?
How about stiffness and performance?

Jim

Thanks Alan, Im very interested in buying that vertical plate from you.
I sent you a message regarding the shipping, I would be more than grateful if you posted or sent me an email of the plate or the measurements. Thanks a lot Stephan

Stephan,

I got your message and replied. The measurements are 4 1/4" long (top to bottom) and
1 3/8" wide at the top where it joins the deck plate/hinge. This is a Sailfish vertical plate but may well fit your wood Sunfish. Contact me at: [email protected] if interested.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Back