old vs. new rudder question

Kitty

I have a sunfish...(my love). I recently bought a Scorpion under the impression that parts were interchangeable. However the Scorpion did not come with rudder and tiller. My sunfish rudder will not fit on the Scorpion the Scorpion pin holes are too small.
Options: Chuck the Scorpion (it was cheap)
Drill out the holes on the Scorpion to the Sunfish specs IF there is enough space to enlarge the holes
Change out gudgeon for Sunfish (there goes sailing time)
Purpose of the two sailboats was to sail with my 10 year old granddaughter but I am beginning to think starting over with used Sunfish and trailer so I can load my Sunfish on my truck and call it a day might be the best option. Looking online for rudder is getting tiresome...Please advise. We sail in So. Texas. Thank you, Kitty

I suggest a rudder conversion for the Scorpion. We bought one that had had that done. Put an inspection port on the stern so you can insert the proper backer plate. Probably take 1/2 a day. The granddaughter will like helping :)

Cjo or Alan probably have the parts you need, post in the Sunfish Wanted Ads section. New gudgeons, backer plates are reasonable at any of the Sunfish parts houses, APS can sell you the inspection port and cool dry bag as well.

FMI: Rudder Conversion

Good luck
K

I have a Scorpion rudder and tiller. The blade is home made ( I don't know who made it), but the hardware is original. You can contact me at peterbradley at comcast dot net

I have all the parts you need for a Sunfish to Scorpion retrofit, used Sunfish rudder assembly, new access port, external stainless steel gudgeon bracket, attachment bolts, and internal back-up page. E-mail me at: [email protected] and I can reply with photos and prices.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Kitty,

Here is another idea. I just came into possession of a Sunfish like rudder, see photo in this section of the Sunfish Forum from a few days ago.. It has a stock Sunfish rudder head with side springs but the mahogany blade is more vertical and less swept back than a Sunfish. The tiller handle is oak and probably too short but it would easy to make a longer tiller handle and use the attachment hardware that comes with it. I also have a used, stainless styeel Sunfish gudgeon bracket, internal back-up plate and the s.s. mounting screws and a 4" inspection port that you can install on the deck to gain access to the inside of the transom. $190 + shipping. Let me know if you are interested.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Thank you guys for the info and help. I found a guy in Austin at Yoursailboat.com to help me with the new rudder and inspection port.
lNew Question:....I am thinking of going to the World in NC just to be in the midst. I would love to stay at a place nearby with a sailboat available. Does anyone know of a B and B on a boat in the area? Is anyone else going?
Something to ponder...
Thanks, Kitty

• I'll be out there weds morning, at LCYC sailing a club boat, just took Lynn Simpsons women's sunfish class and now I'm hooked. Looking to buy one of my own.

that is so cool! I grew up here and am only here in the summers and off and on otherwise. I didn't know there was a sailing club...so clueless...where is the LCYC? It is really difficult for me to load and unload my boat from my truck by myself ..I actually need a trailer. I would love to meet you there...what time? boat or no boat. Happy Hunting.
Kitty

It's right off of 306, a couple of turns down to the gate. you can google it, and also see the wonderful classes they teach, you don't need to be a member to take the classes. I can meet you at the gate at 9. I will have someone with me and we can help unload your boat. Email me at [email protected]

lNew Question:....I am thinking of going to the World in NC just to be in the midst. I would love to stay at a place nearby with a sailboat available. Does anyone know of a B and B on a boat in the area? Is anyone else going?
Something to ponder...
Thanks, Kitty

If the idea of going to the Worlds in NC is to get into the spirit of advanced Sunfish sailing, and you aren't entered, I might suggest you also (or even instead) look into going to the North American championship later this month in MS. You will meet many of the same sailors, plus probably quite a few more that sail in your general region than you are likely to run into at the Worlds. Plus everyone will have their own boats and you can bring yours if you want and you will get a lot of help with set-up if you like.

And another real plus: it has open registration and you can elect to sign up if you like and sail as little or as much as you like and actually be a part o the goings on. Or just spectate. But it is nearby and provides much more hands on experience than the Worlds would as a non-entrant, whether you register or not. That's also when the US Sunfish Class annual meeting is held and you can meet just about everyone you might want.

If you made it to the Southwest regional championship at LCYC a few weeks ago you probably met at least a few sailors that will be headed to the NA's. If you missed that, this would be yet another great opportunity to become part of the overall as well as the Texas Sunfish community.

(it goes without saying that everyone reading this is a current class member, right? of course!)

If the idea of going to the Worlds in NC is to get into the spirit of advanced Sunfish sailing, and you aren't entered, I might suggest you also (or even instead) look into going to the North American championship later this month in MS. You will meet many of the same sailors, plus probably quite a few more that sail in your general region than you are likely to run into at the Worlds. Plus everyone will have their own boats and you can bring yours if you want and you will get a lot of help with set-up if you like.

And another real plus: it has open registration and you can elect to sign up if you like and sail as little or as much as you like and actually be a part o the goings on. Or just spectate. But it is nearby and provides much more hands on experience than the Worlds would as a non-entrant, whether you register or not. That's also when the US Sunfish Class annual meeting is held and you can meet just about everyone you might want.

If you made it to the Southwest regional championship at LCYC a few weeks ago you probably met at least a few sailors that will be headed to the NA's. If you missed that, this would be yet another great opportunity to become part of the overall as well as the Texas Sunfish community.

(it goes without saying that everyone reading this is a current class member, right? of course!)

Kudos go out to everyone who has responded to my questions. I have received such informative suggestions. I was able to meet up with a person at LCYC yesterday. Had a great time but the wind was just not there. Discovered my bailer was loose. So that gave me something to do!!! Minifish2 thank you for the comments I will not be able to go to National this year ..dance card is full but will definitely consider it next year. I am going to NC however to stay on Cape Hatteras. :cool:

So glad to hear that...Boat still in the truck. Thank you...Have safe weekend! I will be in touch...K

Back