Old Sunfish

norcalsail

A year ago, I went back to our old family homestead in northern Wisconsin. When I was eleven in 1976, my Dad and I went and bought this cool Sunfish while I was visiting him in Florida. We drove it up to Wisconsin that summer and I helped him carry it down the hill to the boathouse on the lake. It has been there ever since. He taught me to sail that summer and it was my favorite thing to do besides swimming in the lake. Well, last summer, I had so much fun sailing I bought a new one when I got home and have been sailing here in California all year. This summer, I went back to Wisconsin and had a new sail sent along with some other new lines and parts. I have learned a huge amount about the boat on the Sunfish Forum and took an inventory of repairs for when I go back next summer. Overall, the old Sunfish sits high in the water and sails really good especially with the new LP sail I bought. My sailing abilities have improved vastly and I was able to sail five out of the six days I was there and had a real blast showing off for my my Dad and reaching up and down the north side of the lake. I wanted to share some photos with everyone and say thanks for all the advice I have received.

Attachments

• 20190716_175924.jpg
    20190716_175924.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190714_200943.jpg
    20190714_200943.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20190714_200752.jpg
    20190714_200752.jpg
    825.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190713_102902.jpg
    20190713_102902.jpg
    864.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190713_100710.jpg
    20190713_100710.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190712_172640.jpg
    20190712_172640.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
Thanks Signal! I kind of wish I had sent my Colada sail to Wisconsin and kept the red and white one. My wife and I stayed in the boat house while we were there and I think it's just about my favorite place. My wife took the fourth picture from inside-it's right on the water (of course).
One of my favorite things on the Forum is seeing everyone's boat so please post those photos!

Our second Sunfish is a 1982 AMF named PHOENIX, came to us about 25 years ago in Corpus Christi, she was stored in a barn and had no sail or rudder. Well, she had a sail, but it was sun burnt. She came from the University sailing program and we named her PHOENIX because she had risen from the ashes. She almost made it to Phoenix when we took her to Yuma, Arizona for 3 years. She sailed on a small reservoir off of the Colorado River called Senator's Wash, and we think we were the only people in Arizona with 2 sailboats.

Phoenix Audrey bungee.jpg

East Bay Feb 2013.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

While my story is true, my memory is not so sharp. It was pointed out to me by a very knowledgeable source that this boat is a 1977 according to the stamp on the transom. So, I think we must have bought it very new in "77 or '78 and I was twelve or thirteen. It was a long time ago, LOL...

...What I was trying to say was that she could have been built Aug 76 as a 77 Model Year, just like how cars come out early? Other folks in here may be more knowledgeable whether AMF did that or not.

My Dad thought I was much younger when we picked it up. It must have been the summer of '77 when I was twelve. Somewhere in that time period. Oh well, I had so much fun sailing it last week! Looking forward to sailing my new Sunfish here in Northern CA this week. Already have a plan...

Norcalsail, we're about the same age (plus a couple years on my end ;)
I love your story, especially how you've got such fond memories of your dad buying the new Sunfish and teaching you the love of sailing, which has obviously stayed with you.
And now it has come full circle, reviving the old boat and "showing off" for your dad! Priceless.

...What I was trying to say was that she could have been built Aug 76 as a 77 Model Year, just like how cars come out early? Other folks in here may be more knowledgeable whether AMF did that or not.

I used to work in the RV industry and the next model year product was always changed over around July to get them to dealers by the end of the season. That way they had stuff on the floor for the winter months and the manufacturer would pay the interest for up to 6 months on product. The fish was more than likely made in the summer of '76 and purchased as one of the first 77's.

So cool to see Norcalsail making progress in the nautical world... good on ya, mate!!! Nice pics too, must have missed 'em the first time around, been busy here, LOL. :cool:

Great to hear that your Dad likes the sail, they make a huge difference.

Anyone else have boat pictures?

MADISON is Sunfish #3, she came from the University sailing program in Corpus Christi also. We think she is a 1981, when the University sold them as surplus they scratched off the HINs so they could get a tax write off and I think some liability issues as well. Skipper's Dad sniffed her out somewhere and brought her home, she had a nice blue and white sail for a while. Then she moved to Jacksonville, then Pensacola, and was bartered away by the parents to the guy that owned their townhouse. We moved to Pensacola area in 2011 and thought, "wonder if that Sunfish is still there." She was, but the sail rig and blades had been Hurricaned by Ivan in 2004. We bought the hull and used proceeds from our restorations to get her up and running again.

Audrey Madison smile.JPG

MADISON has been used for several photo shoots at Seaside, Florida.

IMG_9832.jpg

Attachments

• Audrey MADISON .jpg
    Audrey MADISON .jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 34
Our sailmaker made the sail, Skipper got to pick the panel colors and layout. It is similar to the Blue/White/Green/White/Blue/White Mackinaw sail that was sold a few years back.

Back