Old Sunfish Restoration (rudder, hull flex)

4decker

race ready
I am currently restoring a pre 1972 Sunfish and have finished the bottom job and am currently cleaning and buffing up the deck. I have polished all the original brass fittings with an angle grinder to an amazing luster and just need to paint the cockpit, foredeck stripes and clean the spars before rigging. I had the original wood daggerboard, tillers and hiking sticks along with the rudder refinished due to time constraints but I don't think I have all the parts for the old style rudder assembly. What I do have are the deck fittings for the transom and through bolts and plastic washers for the rudder. Is their anyplace on line where I can find diagrams of the original assembly and if I am missing parts is their an option to replace the hardware? I don't want to convert to the new assembly if I don't have to. Thanks!

Hi. I am afraid I am not much use to you. I was wondering how you learned to restore your sunfish. I was just given one and know nothing! you can see my post "Given a Sunfish--works?" I was wondering if you had any info. Sounds like you are doing a great job!!!!
Thanks.

I have previously owned a 1967 Pearson Electra 23' and restored her a few years ago plus I used to work as a fiberglass tech. in a marina. All I did was a bottom job, cleaned the deck and waxed it, updated the paint on the coaming, foredeck stripes and cockpit, polish all the brass with an angle grinder and refninshed the tiller, rudder and daggerboard, purchased a new sail (from Sobstad) not from sunfish, puchased any replacement parts from Yankee boat company (visit on line and then talk to Dave) and replaced most of the screws, bolts, etc. from a hardware store. I still need to do a few fg repairs on the daggerboard trunk, install the mainsheet ratchet and then do a test rig to make sure I have everything covered but so far so good. You can find a ton of info on the forum by searching for it. Sorry, If I was not much help. Enjoy puttering about and fixing her up.

I have the old rudder assembly parts from a previous conversion. You are welcome to them for free. I just posted under For Sale for free. let me know

Back