Old Sunfish in Wisconsin

norcalsail

I found an old photo of the Sunfish my Dad and I bought in '76, maybe '77. Do the sail colors tell the year? It could be be me ten years ago but maybe my sister-can't tell!

Attachments

• 20180915_115153.jpg
    20180915_115153.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
Reactions: tag
The Sunfish logo appears blurred, as in a "run". When you view the photograph directly do you see the same blurring?

(Although I don't know if the logo would ever "run" on the original sail or not, as I had a second-hand boat and sail--which sail logo DID run).

The Sunfish logo appears blurred, as in a "run". When you view the photograph directly do you see the same blurring?

(Although I don't know if the logo would ever "run" on the original sail or not, as I had a second-hand boat and sail--which sail logo DID run).

Yes, I was wondering about the fact that the Sunfish logo was blurred. It is blurred in real life and when I was sailing this last July, it looked as it does in this photo, maybe a bit worse. This is the same sail we bought it with 40 years ago. so hhmm? It was crisp and clean then. Many blemishes and got worse when I capsized last July. I wonder if this sail is an original Sunfish sail, which I always thought it was or could it be an aftermarket. I was hoping the boat could be dated by forum members based on the colors(?).People on the lake know when we are there because of the colors. Back in 1993, I was sailing and a guy came over in his powerboat who knew my sister. She sailed this boat a lot back in the 1980's and he knew the sail. We hung out a bit that summer and only met because he knew the boat! It would be great to get a new one with these colors.

Last edited:
Yes, I was wondering about the fact that the Sunfish logo was blurred. It is blurred in real life and when I was sailing this last July, it looked as it does in this photo, maybe a bit worse. I wonder if this sail is an original Sunfish sail, which I always thought it was or could it be an aftermarket. I was hoping the boat could be dated by forum members based on the colors(?).People on the lake know when we are there because of the colors. Back in 1993, I was sailing and a guy came over in his powerboat who knew my sister. She sailed this boat a lot back in the 1980's and he knew the sail. We hung out a bit that summer and only met because he knew the boat!
It would be great to get a new one with these colors.
It looks like the black logo color even "ran" onto the clew :oops: when the sail was lowered and contacted the lower spar.

Thinking back, my own blurred-logo Sunfish sail (now sold) must have been aftermarket, as it came with my Porpoise II—which would have had its own leaping-Porpoise logo.

My only suggestion to match those colors is to reach the Neal Pride sail loft—and ask. Has any two of his recent sails matched in panel colors? One Neal Pride sail came with the Sunfish logo, the next one didn't. :confused:

This season, I saw the logo (only) available at eBay as an stick-on decal—but having no experience with it, I can't say more. For myself, I'd trace the Sunfish onto paper, and spray-paint the logo onto the sail. Having used Rustoleum spray-paint to "refurbish" 1970s automobile door panels—even seats :eek:, I know it doesn't rub off. :cool:

One Neal Pride sail came with the Sunfish logo, the next one didn't.

Sorry, wrong...Reviewing my 761 Sunfish photos (but two minutes too late to correct :confused: ) I found neither Neal Pride sails has a Sunfish logo. Maybe when you opt for a "window" in your new sail, a Sunfish logo is included?

Last pictured is my after-market, blurred-logo, now-sold, sail. (Which was an old sail before 2005). :(

Attachments

• GEDC0131.JPG
    GEDC0131.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Fullscreen capture 6282017 85951 AM.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 6282017 85951 AM.bmp.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 34
  • P5300166.JPG
    P5300166.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Very interesting info L&VW,

When we bought the boat it couldn't have been very old. I'm guessing maybe a '73 or '74. The well is about the same size as my new boat. It has red markings; splash guard and a diagonal stripe on the bow. I think the stern has no stripe. It has a hook for the mainsheet at the front edge of the cockpit and no block. So I have to wonder if this sail was replaced-we'll likely never know. I want to buy a Sunfish sail with red and white stripes and a window- I really like the window on the new one!

Hi, official Sunfish sails very occasionally have the logo smear over time. Who knows why. I’ve seen a lot of Sunfish but never seen one with that color sail. But “back in the day” they used to let you custom order an official sail in your choice of colors, so that is likely the story here.

Given the sail’s age it’s very unlikely its an aftermarket sail as those have pretty much only been around the last 15 or so years.

Thank you for that info Beldar. When I went to Wisconsin last July, it never crossed my mind to return home and buy a Sunfish of my own and acquire all the knowledge gained on this forum. I wish I had thought to take pictures and pay more attention to the two sailboats there. Kind of want to get a plane ticket and go back, gather information and store them in a better place- can't do that though! Still, next time I get there, I will know so much more about them.

Interesting. Of my five (formerly six) Sunfish of the 70s—none had that color scheme. (And haven't seen it "out there" since).

'Seems I'd bought an expensive sail and got the Porpoise II "thrown-in". It came with all the usual Sunfish accessories—spars, mast, daggerboard, tiller, rudder, mast—in exchange for $125. :cool: I's swapped a repaired sail, a warped daggerboard, corroded spars, my worst rudder and mast, and still got $300. The shredded "storm-damaged", and later, taped and stitched "repaired sail":

P1010004.JPG

Sold on this forum, the new owner of my "factory sail" got a good deal—an even better deal—if he knew what he was shopping for! :rolleyes:

>

Hi Norcalsail,
The diagonal stripe was added to the stern deck in ‘73, so it sounds like your Wisconsin Sunfish is pre-‘73 if no rear stripe. Does it have the back cockpit cubby? That was added in ‘71, as was the option to add a sail window. Old or new style rudder? The new rudder and plastic cockpit bailer (replacing the DePersia) came out in ‘72.
This info is from the Sunfish timeline.
Hope it helps to answer some long distance questions.

Skipper likes the colors, she took one look and said "those are very 70s colors." Good info from the cloud crowd here. If the boat had a bow stripe but no stern stripe, and the new style rudder, then it is 71-72ish assuming it had the new style rudder from the factory. Did y'all buy the boat new?

We have come across several sails where the logo was smeared, the product was very oily and applied maybe like a silk screen vs a separate piece of adhesive sailcloth. I am trying to remember if they were "factory" sails or not, lots of different manufacturers before the Class Legal approach of one sailmaker. The sail is older, it is the 5 panel design vs the 6 that you see nowadays. You could get a similar sail made but most likely it would be 6 panel. And that sail design color combo does look familiar, lots of those golds and oranges in the 70s.

Here is a boat we picked up a few years ago, HOOPS. As a picker you get excited when you see Craigslist photos like these. 2 boats and a trailer for $1200. HOOPS had wet foam, bent spars. YOYO needed hull repair and bottom paint removal, but had a beautiful sail and exquisite blades.

hoops sail smear.jpg

The bottom of the sail gets smeared when the sail is rolled up.

hoops sail smear 2.jpg

Hoops sail smear 3.jpg

HOOPS got a nice used sail that was made by our sailmaker Schurr Sails Pensacola. They can make you a nice custom sail for your boat around the $400 price point.

Audrey Hoops 2.jpg

Cheers!

This boat does have the new style rudder, rear cockpit cubby and plastic bailer so maybe '72 (?). Don't think it has the rear stripe but can't remember for sure (and I just sailed it last July !?). Had been thinking about the Mai Tai for that reason Signal; though not exactly the same, it has the same sort of effect.

Back