old style rudder need help!!

pstruzzi

My Sunfish has the old style rudder assembly. In heavy weather the bottom of the rudder assembly pops out of the lower bracket. I have tightened the top wing nut as much as possible.
Does anyone else have this problem and possible solution???

This is a problem they had with the old rudders. I used to have this problem a lot when I would try to set the rudder from inside the cockpit when I launched from a beach. ( snapped it down with the tiller) I found by reaching down that the rudder was not engaging in the bottom plate, but was hung up in the edge of it. If I popped it in the bottom plate and then tightened down the wing nut it helped, so be sure the rudder is engaged in the bottom plate. If it keeps happening, maybe the parts are worn. As it is not easy to get parts, and when you find them they are expensive, if you plan on sailing in heavy weather you may want to convert to the new style rudder.
Good luck- hope someone else may have a cheaper solution than converting.

As the first reply indicates, you are experiencing the classic problem with the design of the old style (i.e. pre-1971) kick-up rudder design. If you tighten the wing nut tensioning devise too much, the rudder will not kick up but if you don't tighten it enough, the rudder assembly will kick up in heavy air and the boat will round up into the wind and the boat will go into the nautical equivalent of the dance of the seven vails.

One fix might be to take a file and sharpen the beveled tip of the upright bronze fitting that snaps into the receiver fitting that is screwed to the keel of the hull. The more round this tip is, the more easily it slips out of the keel mounted fitting. I have never actually tried this approach, but it might work.

Alas, the real fix is retrofitting a new rudder assembly and this involves $buying$ a new rudder assembly and installing a new stainless steel "U" fitting on the transom (and that requires putting in an access port on the deck so you can get access to the inside of the hull to bolt on the new ss rudder assembly bracket. That said, the "new" (i.e. poist 1971) rudder desigh is a huge improvement over the old design for the vary reasons you cite.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

i had this problem with my first fish. i tightened the nut all the way but it never worked so i ended up having to get a new plate for the rudder. i was lucky and my club had one but they can be hard to find.

Changing over to the new design will eliminate this problem for the long term, however it will also eliminate a few $$ from your wallet at the same time. In the meantime you can find the hardware you are looking for up for sale on eBay at this time. Check out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4545536937&category=31281&sspagename=WDVW

I am sure that you can find the parts to complete the change over here an on eBay. I have a gudgeon that you can have for $10.00 plus shipping.

Good luck.
Brad

The problem is the deck plate, not the latch. It is undoubtedly bent on one side-usually starboard. The more you tighten the wing nut, the more it lifts.
Solution--Take old deck plate off-Redrill the screw holes with a 1/2 inch bit down to the wood backing block. Drill slow and the minute you see wood chips -stop.
Fill the holes with resin and cut up fiberglass. When cured re drill holes the normal size and put your straightened out deck plate back on. Use a hammer to straighten
Alcort came out with a new and improverd deckplate that had two additional holes , but I doubt you will be able to find one. You might put a listing in the Want ads of this website.
Good luck
Herb

If the deck plate is firmly attached to the top deck here are some cheap things to try.

Flip the spring plate over. It may be bent from years of use and not creating enough tension.

If you don't need to kick the rudder up and down you can take a piece of rubber inner tube and place it so when you put the rudder in the kick down sailing position it is in between the Pintle and where the Pintle sets into the notch in the keel plate. (Have extras in case you have it pop while out and need to do it again to get home)

Make sure you also have a Carriage Bolt Tube. Sometimes on older fish they are missing. ( see pic > http://www.sunfishsailboats.com/rudder.php) Mine was missing and I could not find a replacement so I used a piece of automotive fuel line instead.

Back