Old Seadog....New trick

Harold Knutzak

Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to sailing, but been around this earth for some time. Last weekend I purchased an older Sunfish for a very good price at a neighborhood garage sale So I am loaded with questions after reading the first 10 pages of Sunfish Talk. With my bionic hip, bad back and other assorted arthritic ailments my main concern is being knock unconsciousness by the spar. While I do not plan on racing or entering the summer Olympics can someone explain to me the pros and cons of adjusting the connection points of the goose neck and the halyard to make more headroom?
I know I'll be a PITA for a while until I can get some advise so please take pity on an old powerboater.
Thanx
Harry in So. Central Fla.

The beauty of the Sunfish is that every sailor can adjust the boat to their own tastes. Sail adjustment, especially for recreational sailing, is a matter of personal preference. Some people have the sails extremely high. The tradeoff is that the higher the sail, the more likely the boat is to develop "weather helm", meaning that you have to correct for the boat's natural tendency to turn into the wind. Racers want to minimize weather helm, so they set the sails very low and have developed techniques for ducking.

Thanks Geophizz. The craft is in "less than primo" condition but it should be able to sail. I think I will try to learn the art of weather helm and avoid the art of ducking. New-to-me used sail should be in on Friday and if the weather gods are smilin' I may attempt a maiden voyage this weekend.

Can someone supply me with the dimensions (feet or inches) for the clove hitch and goose neck from the fore end of spar and boom? This would be a starting point & I could adjust as I go.
Thanx
Harry in So Central Fla.

Gooseneck should be 17-23 inches from front end of boom. I usually set it at the average spot of 20 inches. I usually set the halyard 6-1/2 sail rings from top. Will have to get you that dimension.

I've been on medicare a few years now and when I sail for fun, I sit down in cockpit with a cushion under me and one for my back. works great!

For our recreational sailing, we put the gooseneck at 22 1/2 inches and the halyard at 60 inches from the outhaul, which is 5-6 rings down. That gives us plenty of clearance and we have been out in 12-15 knots comfortably.

I have found a hat cushions the blow a bit from the boom :)

Have Fun
Kent

Attachments

• IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    576.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    593.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0613.JPG
    IMG_0613.JPG
    559.5 KB · Views: 60