Old Sails/New Numbers

AQBill

Is there a preferred method to remove stick-on numbers from sails without regret? I have two very good used racing sails with someone else's numbers and I'd like to replace them with my (new) numbers.

If you don't have your new number yet, can you select a number? You could only ADD (or change) one number.

A hair dryer seems to be the choice for number removal on hulls—don't know about sails.

When I've had to do it, you just go carefully and slowly. You can sail with any number that you want to put on your sail as long as you don't interfear with someone with the same number. If you want to sail in a sunfish class quilifier, then you will need to have a card and a number, but that number does not have to be on the sail.

sailorf the rules read
3.6.5 Sail Numbers. The objective of ISCA is for members to use sail numbers assigned only by the National Sunfish Class Association (NSCA) and to require uniformity so that numbers are easy to read.

Assignment. The NSCA shall assign to each member of the Class a unique sail number which shall be displayed on each side of the sail. This requirement shall be strictly enforced at all World Championship qualifying regattas beginning with new sails put into use after 1/1/96.
Size and Shape. The numbers must be easy to read, rounded in shape and of the following dimensions: Height: 10± 1/2”, (254± 13mm), Width: 7± 1/2” (178± 13mm), and Thickness: 1 3/4± 1/4” (45± 6mm)

So they are required at the world qualifiers.:D

When I've had to do it, you just go carefully and slowly.

No personal experience, but I have read that people use acetone to get rid of the glue etc. Do this in a ventilated area for health reasons.

I am reasonably sure that, at the club level, nobody will care that the number on your sail doesn't match your official Sunfish class number. Therefore, unless you plan to sail in Regional and/or National events, it's certainly easier to leave your sail(s) alone.

This requirement shall be strictly enforced at all World Championship qualifying regattas beginning with new sails put into use after 1/1/96.

So they are required at the world qualifiers.:D

I think this means that at a world quilifier event that you have to have a unique sail number that no one else has, not that you have to have the same number that is on your class card. But that is just how I take the rule...

Just letting the numbers warm up in the sun will loosen the glue enough to slowly pull them off. Any left over glue can be cleaned up with acetone, alcohol or patted off with duct tape.

And I aways understood that when the word "shall" was used that was the way it needs to be done.
I agree for local club races ect. Its more important just to get the boats out racing.

I think this means that at a world quilifier event that you have to have a unique sail number that no one else has, not that you have to have the same number that is on your class card. But that is just how I take the rule...

This appears to be the case:
At the ongoing Nationals on Mobile Bay, some of the sails don't show a class number and a few others just have two-digit numbers.

http://www.fairhopeyachtclub.photosite.com/album20/

All sails have numbers at the top; this must have been ordained by the Race Committee just for this championship.

PS: wish I were there.....

Well I know that last time I was at North Americans (in 2004), my father didn't have the same numbers that matched his class card. Also for the regionals we have been to they will ask for your class number and your sail number.

FWIW this goes back to the fact that the Sunfish class is the only one design class that still issues numbers to individuals rather than to a boat.
It won't get changed as the more vocal members have "low" sail numbers they don't want to "lose" them.
I asked one participant why he didn't use the class assigned number rather than his usual 11 or X. It was because he buys a new boat every year and didn't want "HIS" numbers on other people's sails when he sells the year old boats.
When I got my original boat through an insurance recovery I registered with the class and had one heck of a fight keeping the original sail number on the boat back in 1975. I had to send in a letter from the previous owner (that had the boat stolen and when it was recovered he decided he wanted the money the insurance paid off rather than the boat) that he didn't want the number and wouldn't be joining the class again.

With my last boat I sold I called the class to get the number transfered and they flat out refused. I said it was a Pearson boat that had a serial number matching sail number and I still have my old number, but they made the poor kid add a 1 to the sail number, so he's got a 6 digit sail number.
What a farce.

Back