Old sails and tacking?

Cellobob

Hi everyone, newbie here. I’m at a camp on a lake with an old Alcort Sunfish, with probably an original sail. Things are ok when winds are light, but it’s extremely hard to tack when the wind picks up past 10-15. When I try to come about to a port tack, it just weathervanes back to irons. This happens a bit on starboard tack, but not nearly as much. Could this be because of 50 year old sail, or are there any other ideas?

Thanks, Bob

I think this is a common challenge, even more in waves. I have experienced this. Recently we were discussing this with an experienced Sunfish sailor and she said, "Tack like you mean it!" I think of that when tacking in higher winds and push the tiller over hard until the sail fills again. Also you need to have your speed up before tacking.

I was just out in high winds on purpose to learn. I had other people there for support. The winds were 15 G 20.

The winds are strong and get you moving fast. Your are intimidated by the raw power. So doing the tack you take it easy and of course the high winds crossing irons slow you down quick.

I got stuck in irons a bunch of times, not fun in high winds with houses making turbulance that trys to fill the sail the wrong way.

The answer, you need to do a hard fast tack or gybe.

Having just really started learning to sail in the last few years the one thing about Sunfish sailing the makes a difference is motion in the cockpit. You have to be practiced on putting your rear foot across, shove the tiller, and do the line exchange quick and efficient. I have been intentionally practicing the for tack and gybe to make it muscle memory.

Between stepping on the mainsheet, not transfering the mainsheet between hands and not getting a proper hold of the tiller I have had a lot of mess ups. I was also more intimidated by higher wind gybes (over 8-10). I now do the side switching much more fluid and I dont screw up so much and my sailing is going better.

Hope that makes sense.

Cellobob, it is speed of the tack. In light air you can tack slower but in heavier air your tack needs to be quick or you will go into irons..

The video below helps

Racers roll tack in both light and heavy air to get the sail across and filling quickly on the new tack

As others have written, speed is of the essence prior to tacking in heavy wind.
Moreover, increase your tacking angle by 5 degrees or so to pick up speed after going head to wind.

PS: No need to 'roll tack' in heavy breeze IMHO.

Ease off the wind a bit to increase your speed, you may be pointing "too high." We push the tiller end about to the edge of the boat, any further and the rudder stalls and acts as a brake.

Which side of the mast have you placed your spars?

Sounds like you're pinching in the higher winds to de-power. This could drop the boat speed enough to allow the head wind to stop you in the tack. Try following Signal Charlie's advise. Crack off a few degrees and inch out the sheet a few boat lengths before the turn to build speed, when you do tack, commit to it fully and don't stop making rapid progress thru the turn until the you have positive pressure on your sail on the new tack. As the boat progresses through the tack you might find that the reduction in speed will allow you progressively great rudder deflection without stalling the rudder. Try to be smooth and deliberate in all actions.

Thanks everyone! I look forward to trying these things next time I encounter my nemesis, the 50 year old sunfish! (It's easier on my other two boats, a 16' Wayfarer and a 30' Tartan!)

Back