Old Sailfish boat

MISCLAIMS

Good day boating people!

I used to sail Sunfish boats when I grew up on LBI New Jersey. I've been on the mailand for about 20 years now and decided last year I wanted to get back into sailing.

So I started looking about and found a poor little Sailfish in desperate need of a good home. She's a bit faded but otherwise in pretty good condition. If it ever warms up here in the Northeast, I plan on taking her to the lake and walking her about to check if she's seaworthy or not. The previous owner stated she hadn't been sailed in over 2 years.

So if anyone can provide any information about the Sailfish, it would be greatly appreciate. I purchased my Sunfish Bible & Let's go Sailing book and plan on purchasing some Interlux Marine paint and spar varnish to begin the rehabilitation. I've never done anything like this before so wish me luck.

Any feedback is appreciated!
Have a great day!
Melisa M :)

Well, a Sailfish will set you apart from many others. Is this the smaller wooden Sailfish, or the larger fiberglass one? Since your past is with the Sunfish, why not sell the Sailfish and get a Sunfish? My experience with these boats goes back to 1970. Feel free to contact me with any specific questions you might have.

Al Courtines [email protected]

Thanks Al! It's been so long since I've sailed I think it doesn't really matter at this point what I relearn on! Besides that, this old boat has got some character--I like things that are different from the norm--that's why I also have a 66 Corvair Convertible!

Thanks for the offer of help--I may take you up on it as the project progresses...

also--it's a larger fiberglass boat...

I started to revarnish the tiller, centerboard and side rails--it's coming up real pretty. Also--I washed the sail which is a Sailfish sail--a few small holes and dirt stains but otherwise functional...

Back