Old man beginner

mikescott

I have had an on and off again Laser sailing affair going on for about 6-7 years. I am now a Grand Master and have my current boat set up as a Radial. I have owned it for 3 years and only sailed it 3 times. Rigging is for the most part up to current standards. The reasons for not sailing it much is that I have been concentrating on triathlons for the past while. I am currently injured and the injuries are seeming chronic so....................maybe it is finally time to start racing. I know the basics and have just never raced. There is a pretty active group in both Portland and Seattle that I could participate with. I am just looking for some tips and stuff here, so............. I am a bit reticent too. How do I get over the hump?

Thanks, Mike

Not to get nosy, but what is your injury? It may affect how you train for sailing, and it may in fact limit your enjoyment of the boat.

I am also a gm and new tomthe laser racing seen. My advice is train hard and sail with against junior sailors they have so much fun and are always competitive. Its very hard not to have fun when these young sailors are kicking your but.

Two injuries actually. Achilles tendonitis (came back after being gone for 3 years after a 10 year chronic bout) and plantar fascitis (which I have also had before). Both seem to take forever to get rid of and the older you get the longer it takes.......I think (hope?) that sailing would be less intense on the body than triathlons but maybe not.

Don't think either will be too problematic in the boat - except maybe launching-ha ha.

Re: that hump you speak of - just sail over it mate.

There's plenty of fun to be had on the other side of it, and by racing with your local club, you'll probably find that your 6-7 years in the boat will serve you well.

In a game of inches, the start is very important. As the first leg is upwind, practise hitting the line at speed by getting a feel for what 30 seconds / 60 seconds from the line looks like. This is probably more of a big boat technique, but it avoids trying to bob around with the others as they sit just behind the line.

As a competitive athlete, you will be hooked the first time you finish in front of any other boat. Don't be surprised if it happens in your first race - there's plenty of shit sailors in the world.

Then there's the beers in the clubhouse.....

Hi Mike, welcome back! Laser uses your body differently than triathlons; you should be fine . Get yourself a good hicking pant (SEA, Zhik) and proper wet suit/ top/ gloves. Find yourself 1-3 sailing friends and go training & racing. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be afraid if you aren't a rules expert. Show up when the fleet is racing (usually a couple hours or so before) and say you would like to learn. Typically, Laser sailors are like any other racing fleet, very excited to get new blood. They will help you learn the ropes and get experience. I would also recommend getting Dave Perry's rules book. It's easy to understand and explains in real world situations. http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...TF8&qid=1388759062&sr=8-1&keywords=dave+perry

Mike, for what it's worth I'm 58, been through 2 back surgeries and my knees won't let me jog anymore - but I can race the Laser. Frankly, if you focus on hiking techniques and strenghen your upper leg muscles you should have no problems. If you body doesn't like something about Laser sailing - it'll tell you.

Best way to learn how to race is to do it. Learn the basic racing rules, start sequences, right of way rules. Start by focusing on finishing the races within the time limit. Most people race for years before finishing high in the fleet.
Set attainable goals, that way you can always attain them and it makes it more enjoyable.

Hi Mike,
Progress? Just got a 1/2 day training session at the club with a national instructor. 10 Laser tacking/gybing/starting/finishing/1 lap races on a very small course. We just worked on 1 topic: down wind- no wave strategy. How refreshing and stimulating! And a good work out. Can you get those? I learned more than during racing.

Back