Old Laser Retrofit

JP NZL

I've purchased an old laser (1987) and am wondering if it's possible to retrofit it and put a cunningham plate and a cam cleat plate on it. It would, of course, require drilling into the deck in order to place the screws in and I do not know if this is safe or even possible to do.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Not a problem, I did the same on mine which is 15 yrs older. If it was me, I'd put an inspection port nearby (off the centerline), so you can thru-bolt them, and not wonder or worry about the integrity of what you're screwing them into. Both the cam cleat and especially the cunningham plate bear a good deal of force with the upgraded rigging.

The other good argument for the inspection port is so you can inspect the joint where the bottom of the mast tube is attached to the inside of the hull, and probably reinforce that. If the mast tube leaks water (doesn't stay full after you fill it with water), or if you intend to sail the boat in more than say 10kts of wind, this is especially important and urgent. If it was me I would simply do that reinforcement regardless of whether or not there are any symptoms of a problem, cuz an awful lot of older boats have failed at that joint and the repair is a monster, while preventing the failure with the reinforcement is a no-brainer.

Last edited:
I've purchased an old laser (1987) and am wondering if it's possible to retrofit it and put a cunningham plate and a cam cleat plate on it. It would, of course, require drilling into the deck in order to place the screws in and I do not know if this is safe or even possible to do.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I haven't added the upgrade to either of my still older boats (555 and 116810), so I am not absolutely sure, but it's my understanding that the upgrade plates use the same holes as the original cunningham eye and clam cleat. I think the idea was to avoid having to drill new holes in the deck. Good luck and welcome to Laser sailing!

Confirming that the 'turbo' cam-cleats and cunningham plate easily retro-fit, using the same screws in the same holes as the old crap. If or when the screws pull out, then you can install the porthole and bolt-through. On my 1976 vintage 24877 'Firefly', I completed 2 races before this happened! You might have more luck.
Highly recommend upgrading; it's more of a pleasure to sail when you can easily make adjustments. Although expensive, the full turbo kit is worth it, and adds value to your boat.

On an older boat I would definitely put a hatch in prior to installing the new control line deck hardware. Whilst you are in there you can reinforce the mast foot too and save any down time from having to do repairs later.

If you choose 6:1 systems rather than 4:1 the forces will be proportionally less in the fittings at the same load in the primary (sailgrommet-) end of the system.

Thanks for all your advice guys- I really appreciate it! I think I might put a few holes in the old girl for inspection ports and see how she's fairing inside. I'd much rather strengthen the mast step than fix it after it's broken!

Back