What's new

Old Kettenburg masthead sloop for sale, seller will take offers...

Cactus Cowboy

Saw this ad in San Diego C/L, wish I had the time and money to refurbish her... these old wooden boats were so beautiful, very elegant in design, but of course they require more maintenance (and a fatter wallet than mine). I always enjoyed seeing Kettenburg boats on the water in San Diego Bay, they harkened back to a different era when the world wasn't so complicated. PCs too, those were also nice boats built by Kettenburg Marine in San Diego, quite the history behind that whole scene. Anyway, this seller doesn't seem to realize what he or she has in terms of nautical history, the boat belonged to a deceased father and the seller just wants the boat gone... if I had the time and money, I would rescue this ol' girl and make her sweet again, keeping nautical history alive in the process. These Kettenburg boats were nowhere near as fast as modern craft, but they were sleek and elegant in design, and by God, they had STYLE!!! One look at the PCs will give ya a clue, LOL... hopefully someone snaps up this K-43 and restores her to her former glory. How awesome would that be, patrolling the beach off Coronado with a hot date aboard this craft? The Hotel Del Coronado looking like something out of a picture postcard... :cool:

sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/boa/d/oceanside-1964-kettenburg-43/7119225520.html

For anybody interested, you can see this and other related ads in the 'Boats' section of San Diego C/L... this same seller is giving away a Cal 29, but that craft doesn't have the history of this Kettenburg boat, though there's nothing wrong with Cals as recreational sailboats, or liveaboards either, for that matter. A friend of mine who lived across the street from CYC owned a Cal 27 which we sailed countless times on San Diego Bay, and we had a lot of fun aboard that boat with groups of friends, but we all admired every Kettenburg which sailed past in any direction, especially the PCs which had SO MUCH ELEGANCE & STYLE!!! Fine boats, those built by Kettenburg Marine, you can Google that outfit and read some amazing nautical history... sheeeee-it, if I were wealthy and had time on my hands, I'd be all over this boat, bagging her before someone else scooped up all that history (and the bragging rights to go with it, LOL). Ah, well, that task will be up to some other hand in better financial circumstances than mine, aye? At least the boat will be rehomed instead of being dragged off to the dump... there's no doubt in my mind that SOMEONE will snap her up before too long, and what a BEAUTY she'll be after some elbow grease & money well-spent. ;)

JUST THOUGHT I'D SHARE THIS AD WITH Y'ALL, IF ONLY TO KEEP HISTORY ALIVE A LITTLE WHILE LONGER... CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

Cactus Cowboy

Whoa, what a blast from the past!!! After posting that ad, I went and watched some classic videos of Kettenburg boats... with the added bonus that most of the footage was filmed in my old stamping grounds, San Diego Bay & environs, including Point Loma. Funny thing, I must have seen many of these same craft under sail over the decades, probably waving to all aboard as I blew past aboard my Laser or Minifish, or hoisting a beer in salute, AYE? Anyway, check these videos, they'll take ya back to a different era, LOL. Oh, yeah, I include that 'Janley' video because it shows the woodwork and craftsmanship which went into building each Kettenburg boat, and the Janley is only a yard longer than the K-43 I posted earlier. Pretty nice woodwork, though you'd be a slave to varnish if ya owned such a boat, UNLESS ya had enough dough to pay somebody ELSE to do the varnishing, LOL. Meh, I'd probably do it myself anyway, just because that's the sort of masochistic fool & perfectionist that I am. Alright, enjoy these videos, they are truly a BLAST FROM THE PAST!!! :cool:

See the shoreline of NASNI (Naval Air Station, North Island) in the third video, before ya even click to get started? I'd frequently sail close inshore at that point, reaching along at speed in the shallows to avoid marine traffic, LOL. Funny how an ad on C/L should suddenly send me back to so many places where I used to sail, aye? Ah, the Internet is truly grand in this respect, it can whisk you back in time to see venues where you had SO MUCH FUN in the past! Probably won't see too many videos of patrolling the beach or sailing to the islands, but that's the way it goes... not as many folks out there, ya know? I DID see some videos of Los Coronados on the web a few years ago, just a few with craft circumnavigating the islands, but no videos of anyone doing what I did back then... reckon I should've had a GoPro camera back in the day, but that's also the way it goes. Meh, I still have plenty of photographs as well as good memories, they'll have to do until I die, LOL. No worries, hardly a day goes by when I don't think of those primo island voyages made so many years ago... enjoy the Kettenburg videos, CHEERS!!! :rolleyes:

Edit: I was just watching the end of that Janley video (which I didn't entirely watch before), and the dude refers to the Kettenburg Family as German immigrants in San Diego... he should've said, "BY WAY OF STEEL CITY, a.k.a. PITTSBURGH, PA!!!" ;)

Last edited:

Cactus Cowboy

Wow, didn't take long for someone to snap up that old Kettenburg 43... or maybe the seller wised up and decided to keep her. But I'm thinking someone snapped her up, which is good, no wicked waste at the landfill. :eek:

It does my heart good to think that she'll be restored to her original glory... beautiful boats, those built by Kettenburg Marine. Someone lucked out and scored a classic on the cheap, Hull #1 as well, which means additional bragging rights. :rolleyes: