Old dog, new tricks

Alan S. Glos

I have been varnishing boat gear (rudders, tillers, daggerboards etc.) for the better part of 60 years, and the drill had always been the same: sand, shape, repair dings, and hand varnish with either a bristle or foam brush, then fine sand/steelwool and re-coat x 3 or 4. This year I had an inventory of 12 items to varnish. I happened to watch a YouTube video on using the "roll and tip" method of varnishing a large hatch cover and it looked like a promising method. So today I tried it. I used Interlux Traditional marine varnish applied with a 4.5" wide roller and a 3" wide "tip" foam brush. Application was fast, even with no runs or curtains. The cost was a littler higher owing to a little wasted varnish and the cost of disposable rollers and brushes, but the savings in time and the quality of the job more than made up for it. I knew how well this technique worked well for paint but it seems to work equally well for varnish.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Attachments

• L1140274.JPG
    L1140274.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
How did it work on the round parts, tiller and hiking stick? I can see how it would be good for the flat parts, rudder and daggerboard.

The small roller works fine on the rounded parts but the tip brush can get into smaller areas without a problem. The main advantage was speed and getting a more even coat without runs or sags.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Reactions: tag

Back