Old boat help

Wild1_3000

I have a laser from 1974, and i dont know much about it, cause the guy i got it from have stripped and repainted the whole boat, taking off the serial numbers. But i do know its made in Canada, for some reason, the boats really heavy, yet very fast, anyone know why?

Wild1_3000 said:
I have a laser from 1974, and i dont know much about it, cause the guy i got it from have stripped and repainted the whole boat, taking off the serial numbers. But i do know its made in Canada, for some reason, the boats really heavy, yet very fast, anyone know why?

Heavy and Fast? I don't believe you. Have you weighed the boat? If so, what does it come in at? What do you use to compare your speed with?, (speed is relative). Other seasoned Laser sailors sailing newer boats?

Yeah, i was racing a friend that has a 1997 laser, with the new rigging, and a newer sail, he placed 13th in gold cup last year, and yet, i can keep up with him, i only lose cause i mess my starts up, but i never lose any boat lengths, i gain them.

Wild1_3000 said:
Yeah, i was racing a friend that has a 1997 laser, with the new rigging, and a newer sail, he placed 13th in gold cup last year, and yet, i can keep up with him, i only lose cause i mess my starts up, but i never lose any boat lengths, i gain them.

And you need help why? Sailing an old, heavy, boat w/outdated rigging competitively against newer, updated boats goes against all logic, (given the people sailing them are of equal talent). I don't know what the gold cup is or how many sailors there were or what divisions you are refering to, (full rig, radial, 4.7, master, junior). You must be a much better sailor than your friend or you are smaller, sailed in light conditions and got some good shifts after you blew the starts or you are bigger and sailed in heavy conditions and could sail your boat flatter/higher upwind after you blew the starts.

Again, how do you know your boat is heavy? Have you weighed it?

Rob B said:
And you need help why? Sailing an old, heavy, boat w/outdated rigging competitively against newer, updated boats goes against all logic, (given the people sailing them are of equal talent). I don't know what the gold cup is or how many sailors there were or what divisions you are refering to, (full rig, radial, 4.7, master, junior). You must be a much better sailor than your friend or you are smaller, sailed in light conditions and got some good shifts after you blew the starts or you are bigger and sailed in heavy conditions and could sail your boat flatter/higher upwind after you blew the starts.

Again, how do you know your boat is heavy? Have you weighed it?

I know its heavy because after lifting 97 boats for 3 years, then taking this, you know its heavy. and im not lighter then my friend, and my friend is way better then me. Im just wondering if theres any reason in the boat why its fast and heavy

That simply doesn't make sense. Unless your friend is a complete hack, a heavy boat with an inexperienced sailor in it, should not be "faster". Heavier = slower.

Goonie said:
That simply doesn't make sense. Unless your friend is a complete hack, a heavy boat with an inexperienced sailor in it, should not be "faster". Heavier = slower.

Admittedly kind of a silly example, but I can imagine stuff you could do to a boat (illegally) that would make it heavier and that would also make it faster in some conditions -- for example, you could take the boat apart, add all kinds of internal structure and extra glass inside to reinforce and stiffen the hull, and put it back together.

Wild1_3000 said:
I know its heavy because after lifting 97 boats for 3 years, then taking this, you know its heavy. and im not lighter then my friend, and my friend is way better then me. Im just wondering if theres any reason in the boat why its fast and heavy

OK. Here's another question. Are you guys sailing short courses like the ones sailed in college racing? Usually, you can get a race done within 20 minutes. If so, that could explain why you are still able to stay close.

Back