Media OK - what's this device on mast?

rock steady

A cool pic of a patriotic French sailor from the World Sailing Games.

But, does anyone know what that box is doing on her mast?

warrior4yf.jpg

Re: OK - whats this?

rock steady said:
A cool pic of a patriotic French sailor from the World Sailing Games.

But, does anyone know what that box is doing on her mast?

This was 'discussed' on Sailing Anarchy roughly two weeks ago. As I recall (and at my age, I don't recall too well), the picture shows Sophie de Turckheim (http://athenes2004.free.fr/) and the box is to collect info about her sailing, to be used later on by her coach. Not sure if I believe this last part.

So, we know what the box on her mast is.
But who knows what the white stuff on her nose is , someone please tell me :p

Dutchlaser said:
So, we know what the box on her mast is.
But who knows what the white stuff on her nose is , someone please tell me :p

Zinc paste to stop from getting sun burn...also comes in colours too...yellow purple blue...If you have big nose like me it makes you look like a clown

It's a tracking device along with some data recorders. makes sense if you're responsible for all those white-nosed faces.

did they give them all new sails for the medal race?? seing that their sails are numbered 1-10 (I assume)

167542 said:
did they give them all new sails for the medal race?? seeing that their sails are numbered 1-10 (I assume)

I'd say so. This looks like one of the most professional sailing reggatta's ever!

I got this off their website, and I think it explains the boxes:

"Real Time Regatta" was developed for the World Sailing Games 2006 by the FH Hagenberg in order to follow the races live on your mobile phone. The application was developed for the Sony Ericsson mobiles K608i, D750i, K750i, W800i and Z520i. GPS receivers by IGISA which are mounted on the boats of selected boat classes allow for exact positioning. This data is used to visualize the boats on the display of your mobile.

The up-to-date positions of the boats and the current wind conditions are transmitted from a central data base to the mobile phone via T-Mobile

Austria’s mobile data network. In addition to the live tracking of the boats, this application enables the user to obtain information about the races, the participating boats and teams.

Now that is cool!!!

Merrily said:
Hmmm. I wonder if it can tell you what tack a boat is on?

I imagine it would as it gives a feed for boat position and wind direction. I'm not sure why they have it linked to mobile phones only, surely they could put it straight on to the internet?

If you could record actual GPS/wind direction/velocity and response you could backward engineer feed to something like the Bethwaite sail simulator program for evaluation/improvement ratings and advice as some type of post-mortem race de-brief or evaluation?? Whether such a device needs to transmit in real time or simply record in a manner that can be syncronised with other external tracking is uncertain - depending on what you are trying to measure/track.

Of course if it contained anything like a digital compas mechanism (even if secured from view) it might be technically 'illegal' under class rules. Then again it may just be somewhere to store car keys or other essentials etc as suggested above.

That is a cool concept GLASKY - feeding it back into the Bethwaite sail simulator. It would effectively allow you to sail the race twice or more!

I think that the race committee of the World Sailing Games would have been able to alter class rules under sailing instructions to allow for an "electronic device" on a Laser.

This regatta was covered in the current issue of Australian Sailing (most likely because Australia did so well!) Yet they didn't mention a thing about these devices. I couldn't see them on other class boats either (they could have been much better concealed though).

If only some of those top sailors read this forum!

Short-handed race committees could also probably use this technology to determine OCS, If boats have collided or touched a mark (and done their penalty turns) or completed a course in the proper sequence. Might even black flag some for rocking and ooching.

Could even get Finishing times electronically posted to a PC for results??.

ok kinda off topic..but how long would thier sails / top section last when they have everything tigh as possible, like in the picture "Rock Steady" posted?

And are light weight men aloud to race radial in olympics, or would i have to put on 50 pounds if i made olympics?

Hey Oniondip, I think you would get a good season or more out of Laser gear, but others will tell you a lot less.

The Radial in the Olympics is the "woman's single handed class", so no men are allowed no matter how light they are. The class before the Radial was the Europe Dinghy.

Back