Class Politics Official word, Radial Upper Mast

Merrily

Administrator
Laser World magazine from the ILCA has published the following on Laser Radial Upper Masts in the January 2006 edition.

"The Laser class in conjunction with the Laser Builders have been investigating and testing composite upper mast sections for the Laser Radial Rig for the past few years. The selection of the Laser Radial as the women's one person dinghy for the 2008 Olympics occurred before the programme was complete. Testing was continued throughout 2005. Any modifications to Olympic equipment need to be approved by ISAF through a submission process that starts at the end of July. Given that the next opportunity for a submission would not have been until July 2006 for decision in November 2006 (only 1.5 years before the Olympics) the World Council decided to make a submission to use composite upper masts for the Laser Radial at the Olympic Games for consideration by ISAF in November 2005.
"ISAF generally do not normally allow changes in established Olympic equipment within 3 years of the Olympic Games. They chose to remain with this policy for the Laser Radial. As a result of the ISAF decision there will be no change to the Laser Radial mast for the 2008 Olympic Games."

Welcome to the world of Olympic class racing. All decisions revolve around the 1% of class members who have any business going to the Olympics.

Do you really think there are 25 North American members in that bunch?

Ignore the signature below.

it is time to change it.

Not funny anymore.

Two seagulls sitting on a perch

One says

I smell fish

A response to Merrily's queery:

I believe the Olympics are a special event. Participation must be one of the lifetime thrills. Watching the Olympics and rooting for our teams is great fun for many of us.

The North American Laser Class has a described mission which pre-dates its involvement with the Olympics. It's mission is to provide a medium for the exchange of information about Laser sailing enhance the enjoyment of these sailboats. It is promote and develop Laser Class racing. It is to encourage and foster the enjoyment of the sporting and recreational aspects of SAILING.
The participation of the Laser Classs Association in the promotion of the Olympics and the Organization of events which determine who might represent individual countries in the Olymppics may be very important. It may help with the class objectives.
My belief is the sector of our membership which is actually indulging in a lifestyle which could lead to competing in the Olympics is tiny. The sector is also quite active and visible. It would be very easy for our association management to become misguided and spend too much of our resources on those who are chasing the Olympic dream.

My belief is: The Olympics found our game and decided to use it. I am thrilled our game is so good it was selected. It was selected for what it was and for how it was run. The game was worthy and chosen. I see no reason to modify or cede the control of our game.
When the Laser Class cedes control to outside entities who have no history of managing a sailing game similar to ours and whose other sailing games are less successful than ours, I worry....a lot!

gouvernail said:
A response to Merrily's queery:

Excuse me, but I don't make "queery"s. I like men just fine!

So it's your opinion that the carbon upper mast is purely for the satisfaction of those managing the Olympics, and not for the good of the entire class?

Merrily

Merrily said:
Would you prefer that the Laser were not an Olympic class boat?

Merrily

The Laser has been an Olympic class for, what, ten years now? I was a little bothered when it was first selected. Look at the multitudes of other Olympic classes that have become bogged down in gadget wars and politics, leaving nothing for the weekend sailor.

Overall, I think being an Olympic class has been positive for the Laser class. It has brought new attention and new sailors to the class. The upgraded rigging may not have happened without it (not a gadget war, but a necessary change in my book). On the other hand, I wonder how much the political turmoil in the class over the last few years is due to the class' Olympic status.

Recently, I have seen two negative impacts of being an Olympic class. Number one is the Sailing Surivor regatta format that has been selected for 2008. This format may be necessary for the Olympics, and I see no problem using it at regattas catering mainly to those campaigning. However, we as a class need to make sure it doesn't bleed through into local or national regattas catering to the rest of the class.

Second, the timing of the Radial carbon upper issue. I suspect the decision may have gone through if the Radial hadn't been selected for 2008. But we are letting the Olympics drive class decisions.

As for my personal opinion on the carbon upper, it probably wouldn't help me. At 150 lbs. I'm too light for the full-size sail, but a Radial feels just right i a breeze. Now if they were to stick a carbon upper on the full-size sail...

Merrily said:
Excuse me, but I don't make "queery"s. I like men just fine!

So it's your opinion that the carbon upper mast is purely for the satisfaction of those managing the Olympics, and not for the good of the entire class?

Merrily

Your response certainly was a wonderful gay post to the forum.
Sorry for the misspelling.
Unfortunatly I was a tad fagged out from trimming a spinnaker all day. We sailed a lot on close reaches. All the teams sailed both ways on the lake and we tried to keep our chutes full. I had to keep my pole up for a long time. This labor left my muscles tired. The posted fruits of my labor may have been the result of typing with limp wrists.

back on the thread......

My comment about the control of the game and whether we should cede that control to outside interests had nothing to do with whether we as a class may benefit from a properly designed carbon top section.

I am not even necessarily complaining about ANYTHING that is actually going on right now. My point is only that the Laser game MAY at some time be harmed if the focus is too much on Olympics and world championships and too little on local fleets and encouraging entry into the great game of sailing. We should never stop paying attention to the balance.

Back