Odie Rig re visited

odegaard

cAPTN oDIE
Notice that there is a Class rule that allows running the halyard down on either side of the sail. For the un-initiated this is a method to depower the sail by flattening out the front of the sail. By running the halyard down the port side of the sail, the sail LE is disturbed and flattened when on Stbd tack--just like on port tack when the sail hits the mast. Nice thing that this can be done while on the water, by just moving the halyard fwd and around the tack and under the boom. I have used this rig several times in winds over 20 and the boat points higher than overpowered competition and it is easier to sail her flat. Also, there is no significant change in sail power on a reach or run.
This summer I hope to experiment with moving the port side halyard tie back to the 1st boom block bail (strap); tieing a clove hitch and then using the tail as a long/effective vang. Hopefully with this arrangement there should be less resulting weather helm since more of the sail (further aft) will be flattened--also, the more you sheet, the flatter the sail gets. Flat sails= less healing=less leeway=better VMG. Our Sunfish lateen rig may seem funny and non-traditional to some folk, but it sure is versitile and easy to de-power in a blow!

I am not totally clear on how you rig either version of the Odie Rig. Are you rotating the gooseneck and rigging the sail on the opposite side of the mast. This puts the mast on the left (disturbing air on starboard), and then running the halyard down the right side of the sail (disturbs air on port)?

How are you planning to rig the halyard to the boom block? It seems to me that the rules only allow the running end to be used as a boom vang and/or to pull the boom out in light air.

If you use a cleat on your mast, just run the halyard down the stb side as normal, to cleat, and then throw the long halyard tail up to the mast head and down the port side of the sail. If you don't cleat on the mast, after hauling up the sail rig as normal, just lead the halyard over to the port side then down and under the boom to the normal cleat on the deck. This puts some strain on the mast cap so you need a few pop rivets in the cap to keep it on.
With the proposed tie to the boom block, it should still be legal, since the halyard tail is run down the port side of the sail, and the remaining tail is being used as a vang. this long vang should be more effective than the conventional tie down of the gooseneck. Try it and advise.

Thanks, Odegaard,
I was thinking about how to do this with the mast-side cleat and you neatly answered my question. We don't often race in higher wind velocities, but this might be worth a try at the upper end. Now if would only warm up again.....

Dave

If you use a cleat on your mast, just run the halyard down the stb side as normal, to cleat, and then throw the long halyard tail up to the mast head and down the port side of the sail. If you don't cleat on the mast, after hauling up the sail rig as normal, just lead the halyard over to the port side then down and under the boom to the normal cleat on the deck. This puts some strain on the mast cap so you need a few pop rivets in the cap to keep it on.
With the proposed tie to the boom block, it should still be legal, since the halyard tail is run down the port side of the sail, and the remaining tail is being used as a vang. this long vang should be more effective than the conventional tie down of the gooseneck. Try it and advise.

Back