Numbers: the Dutch youth

thieuster

57449580_2581108528570276_2640023054326956032_o.jpg

This is a pic of the issued Youth Licenses on Jan 1 2019. Although in Dutch, the diagram is easy to read. A quick translation:

Jeugdlicenties = Youth Licenses in total
Wedstrijdlicentie = Competition Licenses
Bemanningslicenties = Crew Licenses
Overig = Other classes

Eenmansboten = Single-handed boat
Tweemansboten = Double-handed boat

As you can see, the Laser class has 60 boat-certificates issued to youth sailors (= Under 18). 90 - 95% of that amount participates in the National regattas. 15 - 20 out of those 60 join international regattas as well. A very small amount considering the number of successes Dutch sailing had over the last few years and still has.

The problem is the transition from the optimist to the next boat. More than 50% of the Opti-sailors sell their boats when they become too heavy/ too old for the optimist. Some jump into the Splash (a national class, originally 'invented' as an in-between between the optimist and the Radial, back in the days that there was no 4.7). Some jump in the 29er as a start for the doublehanded route towards the 49er and Nacra17, hopefully leading to the Olympics.

I am under the impression that a lot of youngsters switch to the Splash youth class because this class is well-organised: rescue, transport, training. Parents love that(...). The Laser class, on the other hand, has more adult members than youth sailors (but that's not visible in this diagram). Therefore, it's less well-organised and more individual when it comes to rescuing, combined transport etc. Parents of 14/15 yr/old kids have an opinion about that, I suppose. (Back in 2015, we opted for the Optimist -> Splash -> Laser Radial route)

I am curious to know if you happen to know anything about the transition from the Optimist to another class in your country. How many (%) sell their boats after sailing the optimist, what's the route towards an Olympic campaign etc. Sort of comparing these numbers internationally, so to speak.

• Perhaps you've noticed that the 420 is not on the list. That class was effectively killed by the Dutch Yachting Association (like the Olympic Finn) in favour of the 29er... From a thriving class to zero licenses in 4 yrs...
  • And as you can see, there are no Aeros, Melges, D-Zeros and Waszp certificates issued to youngsters as well.

Plenty to discuss/compare here! I might write something about the Finnish scene after I've watched the Genoa SWC medal races:D But just to ask the first question: what does a "license" mean/include in the first place? Is it required? Does it cost something? What's the history of it? Etc.

_

Last edited:
Every sailor wanting to participate in regattas needs (1) a class membership and (2) a license from Dutch Yachting. That license is easy to get; it's more or less your Dutch Yachting membership card. The diagram here shows the 'members' of Dutch Yachting. But, you cannot obtain a DY license without being a class member as well. It costs 15 euros/yr. You get nothing in return, though...

Not mentioned here: the boat licenses, or better 'measuring certificates'. With modern style one-design boats, it's not hard to get that; e.g. LPE's certificate is also your measuring certificate. Same goes for Optimists from most suppliers like Winner etc. Things go pear-shaped when it comes to dinghies like the OK Dinghy (lots of DIY boats and stretching the rules...) and other, mostly wooden, keel-boats. Those boats need to be inspected on a regular basis, complete with jigs and a certified measurer. Things will also go pear-shaped with the introduction(...) of LPE's non-certified boats...

(Now off to watch 'Genoa' as well!)

Back