Nube Question: Water Through Swing Keel Opening?

Wes187

First post. Have some class and rec. sailing experience. Learned a lot already from you all so thanks. Last fall picked up a bruised ’90 14.2 w/trailer. Got boat off trailer, fixed trailer, got around the boat, back on trailer, refreshed some rigging. SoCal winter set in so put her up until this weekend. Next week or two will be first out for us. Stoked.

Question: after getting a basic understanding of how the hull and deck is put together want to know how she keeps sea from washing in through the swing keel opening and filling the space between the hull and deck while under way?

There does seem to be a canvas sleeve embedded in the glass that may (?) help with this and additionally, perhaps, the air pressure within the hull helps keep water out? Is there an interior channel that extends up into the hull that prevents water washing inboard? Should I assume there will be some water taken on regardless and not sweat it and drain the boat after every sail? Am I missing something? Obviously, gotta make sure the drain-hole plug is in.

Appreciate any insight you may have – thanks!

I'd like to hear about the structure in this area of the 14.2 as well. I went out over the weekend on Lake Lanier and took on 12-15 gallons of water. A post-trip inspection revealed no cracks or holes on the hull.

If you're taking on water inside the hull, that is a problem. Check your drain plug then test for leaks in the centerboard trunk. I have seen posts about 14.2s being strapped down too tightly on trailers causing cracks in the CB trunk.
If you're just wondering if the cockpit will get water in it, it generally is not a problem, the gasket at the bottom of the trunk prevents water splashing up through it. And the cockpit floor is above the water line, so any water that comes in over the rail simply drains out the back.

I'll check the drain plug again, but how do I test for leaks in the centerboard trunk?
Make sure inside the hull is dry and everything is sealed, then put it in the water. Check for water inside after. I'm not sure what the remedy would be if you found it was leaking. If it was a slow leak, I would just make sure to drain it after use.
After watching a friends 14.2 sink to the deck after being swamped and loosing the drop-in hatch, I added air bladders under both seats and in the bow. So, even if it takes on water or looses the hatch, it can only sink so far. You might consider that if you are concerned about the leak getting worse.

Thanks FreeRide, appreciate your insight. Found the following at https://whichsailboat.com: As a semi-planing boat displacing little water, the centerboard model requires no centerboard trunk. The centerboard simply slides through a slot with only a few inches separating the floor of the cockpit from the water below. With enough speed, water can spray up through this slot into the cockpit. Catalina Direct offers a canvas gasket to surround the centerboard in the slot, which prevents this spray.

One of the first things I did on my 14.2 was replace the gasket material. The tape is common across dingy types and can be purchased most anywhere. "canvas" is a misnomer, as it is more like fiberglass reinforced plastic tape (without a sticky side). If you do this, be sure to re-caulk all of the screw holes, as you will need to remove the CB and strips that hold the tape in place. While you have it out, check all of the bushings on the CB, the plastic gets feeble with age.
Also, I make sure my CB is up all the way out of the water, to prevent deforming the gasket.

Cheers, Karl

Thanks, Karl. I'll try to remove the CB gasket to see if there are any cracks that allow water to enter.
Cal

One of the first things I did on my 14.2 was replace the gasket material. The tape is common across dingy types and can be purchased most anywhere. "canvas" is a misnomer, as it is more like fiberglass reinforced plastic tape (without a sticky side). If you do this, be sure to re-caulk all of the screw holes, as you will need to remove the CB and strips that hold the tape in place. While you have it out, check all of the bushings on the CB, the plastic gets feeble with age.
Also, I make sure my CB is up all the way out of the water, to prevent deforming the gasket.

Cheers, Karl

Great idea - Thanks Karl!

Back