Not sure what to do with my 1967 sunfish

TriciaN

My father bought it in 1967. The hull has cracked a couple of times with repairs. I believe all the equipment is original except the sail. It has not been sailed in 20 years. About 10 years ago I got interested in fixing it up. Never was able to finish that job. At that time I did weigh it and it was not water logged. It was then stored upside down on a custom built rack. And there it sits. I really don't think anyone in my family is interested in it. So, I'd love some suggestions. Should I try to sell it with everything? Should I sell it and equipment separately? Should I donate? I just don't see it ever being used and I feel it deserves a good home. And if I posted in the wrong area please let me know and I will delete it. So any comments?

At a nice price there should be some interested buyers. Free to an up and coming sailor would be a wonderful gesture.

At a nice price there should be some interested buyers. Free to an up and coming sailor would be a wonderful gesture.
Thing is I wouldn't know what a nice price is. But I'm not opposed to giving it to someone who really wanted to sail it. Of course, it would have to be the right person. Not really sure how to advertise for that though. Do you think talking to one of the local sailing clubs around here would be a start?

I would suggest looking for a local Sea Scout Ship to donate the boat to. They will fix it, learn to sail it, and sail it. If you PM me your location I can connect you with a Sea Scout Ship close to you. I am sure they would love it.

You're in the right area. Sell everything together, no faster way to kill a boat than to split it up. Lots of Sunfish up in your area. You can probably get around $300 for a hull that could be sailed, if all the parts are there and the sail is serviceable.

As mentioned, a Sea Scout group might use it or google youth sailing club, there might be Sunfishers up there.

Good luck!

You're in the right area. Sell everything together, no faster way to kill a boat than to split it up. Lots of Sunfish up in your area. You can probably get around $300 for a hull that could be sailed, if all the parts are there and the sail is serviceable.

As mentioned, a Sea Scout group might use it or google youth sailing club, there might be Sunfishers up there.

Good luck!
Thank you. I will start looking into that.

A noble gesture, donating the boat, but certainly to a worthy cause... unless you need or want the money, in which case there's always Craigslist, downside there is ya hafta deal with all the Craigslist Flakes, LOL. :eek:

For this weekend only, I'm advertising on Craigslist. :cool:

My price? $899. It's only an above-average Sunfish, with a crummy sail. ('Shows well with the sail folded :)). No trailer. At least with selling a Craigslist Sunfish, I've met a large number of very interesting sailors. They've always left with something I'm selling. (And paying for it first). ;)

I bought my Minifish off C/L for $200... sunk the same amount into her restoration and she gave me years of faithful service, so C/L isn't all bad, ya just gotta deal with the wackos, e-hookers, flakes, etc. :eek:

I’ve bought and sold many boats on craigslist. I always write “If listing is up the boat is available.” It’s pretty easy to weed out the scammers (ya, no business associate with check, etc) and if they only ask “Is this still available” I ignore them. Post good, clear and closeup pics, give a thorough and honest description and list it at a fair price. Works for me every time and I’ve met many great people in the process.

I’ve bought and sold many boats on craigslist. I always write “If listing is up the boat is available.” It’s pretty easy to weed out the scammers (ya, no business associate with check, etc) and if they only ask “Is this still available” I ignore them. Post good, clear and closeup pics, give a thorough and honest description and list it at a fair price. Works for me every time and I’ve met many great people in the process.
Oh yeah!

And...:

"I'll have my agent pick it up"...:rolleyes:

"After the check/bank order clears"...:rolleyes:

"Is 'the item' still available"...:rolleyes:

But it's sailors who are the best of people—amiright? :)

Back