Northwest Sunfish Sailors Unite!

Zoey

Hey to all the Northwest Sunfish Sailors and I know there are several of you out there. I'm looking to find some Sunfish partners to sail/race with. Being the only Sunfish sailing on the sound gets lonely. Being surrounded by Lasers isn't of any comfort either... I mostly sail out of the Shilshole Marina (Seattle Washington). If there was a lot of interest, maybe we could start a Sunfish Class and hold official races.
Thanks,
Zoey

Hi there!

Although it's pretty late in the season, I'm still trying to put what I *believe* is a 1968 Sunfish into better condition than it was in when I bought it. I still need a trailer for the damn thing, but am now getting tired of waiting to find a used one (which seems to be terribly elusive) and will probably just go and get a new one very soon. I know I've missed what has been an amazing summer for sailing, but I don't really see a problem with sailing in the Fall. However, I'm planning on sailing the lakes, not the sound. I live very close to Greenlake, so I was thinking of simply tooling around there... and maybe lake Washington when I get a bit more courage.
So, a racer I'm not and never intended to be, but I thought I'd let you know that I was here too. There are pity few Sunfish around this region... in fact I've never even seen one out and about in this area, just heard of them :) It's nice to know there is at least *one* other who really exists.

Ciao...

Aaron
[email protected]

Re: Trailer (Northwest Sunfish Sailors Unite!)

Aaron,

~ I still need a trailer for the damn thing, but am now getting tired of
~ waiting to find a used one (which seems to be terribly elusive) and will
~ probably just go and get a new one very soon.

I had the same problem awhile back. Finally decided to broaden my search to similar size boats & trailers. Found a Sears aluminum row/fishing boat w/trailer the right size for a Sunfish. Bought both for $200, sold boat alone for $200 later.

Indeed!

Well done on the steal. I've looked at a few other boat types as well, but not being familiar enough with them, I can't tell if the trailer would suffice for the 'fish. I have read that most any 'small boat' trailer will work though... at any rate, thank you for the nod Molly.
I'll redouble my efforts and see what happens.
Cheers...
Aaron

Aaron,
Go to the Nat'l SF Class page and check the FAQ's near the top right and Tips and Tricks in the bottom right column. All kinds of other info is there as well as trailer ideas. Many feel deck down carry is best for the hull, while other go deck up. Upright is easier to launch if you can use a boat ramp, but that is not always possible. You want as much area supported as possible. A padded 2" x 8" x 48" is better than a 2" x 6" x 24", you get the idea. Personally I would have support front and rear, spaced to put the support about 4" in from the outer edge. Don't support the boat with rollers along the keel, not a very strong area. A roller at the very rear to help get the boat on the trailer is ok. Secure the bow with one of the rubber "V" bow supports (installed nearly horizontal), not to hold the weight, just to keep the bow centered. And don't forget to strap your fish down. Check APS, Windline or maybe Torresen for spar carriers for sails and mast or make your own. A light weight (200-250 ibs carry load), like a Trailex ($$$) is better for the Sunfish than a converted Utility Trailer that is used to carry lawn mower around (beats a boat to heck). Look, study and form your own ideas on how you want to haul your Sunfish. Good luck

Back