Class Politics North American District Curiosities ?

kgodefrio

I am new to Laser sailing in the NA District, and I'm intrigued about the following:

1- Why is Mexico not part of ILCA-NA, even though it's a North American country?

2- Why don't Canada and the US have individual national authroities? (like other countries belonging to regional districts, i.e. South America, Europe, etc.)

Martin

Its really the North American Region and it is composed of some 26 Districts (see http://www.laser.org/m/_general/districts.asp). There is also a European Region, South American Region and Asia-Pacific Region, each containing some number of Districts.

It is my understanding that in Europe and South America, the District boundaries are also country boundaries. But the US, Canada and, I believe, Australia, are comprised of a number of districts. These boundaries were drawn long before my time, but I would imagine there are interesting historical reasons for them being divided the way they are.

Mexico was once part of the North American Region. I don't know their exact reasons for wanting to do so, but around 1998-1999 they petitioned to be removed from the North American Region. I'm speculating, but I think it might have had to do with berths at the Laser Worlds...

For completeness one should also note that the Caribbean was also once part of the North American Region. I don't know why they were removed, but every few years a discussion pops up about bringing them back. However, it just doesn't seem to work out to anyone's advantage so never goes past the talking.

Tracy

kgodefrio said:
I am new to Laser sailing in the NA District, and I'm intrigued about the following:

1- Why is Mexico not part of ILCA-NA, even though it's a North American country?

2- Why don't Canada and the US have individual national authroities? (like other countries belonging to regional districts, i.e. South America, Europe, etc.)

Martin

Thank you Tracy, well I was wondering...

You know, for example the SouthAmerican Region was formed years after the individual national Districts were in place... And in their case, authorities are picked at the national level, and then they coordinate the Regional calendar and issues.

That is why I found odd that the "North American Region" has only representatives from only one country in the Excecutive, that no national Districts and authorities exist (i.e. Laser US or Laser Canada), and as mentioned, that one of the three countries is missing ! (perhaps they left precisely because of that... in order to have more control of their own activities ?).

Food for thoughts I guess...

Martin

Back