Norseboat vs Capri 14.2

VASailing

I’m in the market for a small sailboat and have been considering the Capri 14.2. However, in the May/June issue of Small Craft Advisor the following quote appears in an article reviewing the new Norseboat. “..the Norseboat is much more stable and sea-worthy than boats of the Capri 14.2 ilk . . .� Thoughs?? Thanks.

You are talking about this norseboat, right?:
http://www.norseboat.com/

Comparing that to Capri is like comparing apples and oranges. They are totally different hull forms and rig types.

The C14, since it has flat hull sides on the bow, tends to dig into waves or just stop rather than ride over them. They are not made for sailing in waves. :) They are plenty seaworthy enough for lakes and bays, however. I don't know how much more stable you can get than a C14, honestly. After you have sailed boats like the Laser, you will definitely agree that 14.2s are very stable, both just sitting in the water and when out sailing. Remember, just like all other moving objects, with more instability you get more manuverability.

A couple weeks ago I was sailing a Laser allongside some beginning sailing students in their C14s on Alamitos Bay. The wind was darned close to 20 knots and I was really surprised how well they did. No capsizes at all. When the wind gets strong break out your flat sails(NOT your old ones!) and crank everything on to depower as much as you can. Then, hike hard and have fun. Capris have hiking sraps, so use them(and your abs)! :D I was planing like no other on the reaches and they were making some spray themselves. :D

Just pulling your leg.... :D I matter-of-factly said reaches. I wasn't implying that we were only sailing reaches. :rolleyes: I sail for fun at least once a week, so when the wind allows me, I will practice planing (to windward and off the wind), and gibes. I've sailed C14s over the years in wind well over 15 knots and i've only really had a problem with the boat being overpowered when i'm out by myself. I'm sure you can sail well, but the C14 is not a particularly hard boat to sail in higher winds(in my opinion, anyway). :)

Back