Noob Question: 55 Orbit

kaoskorruption

Hey I just got the 55 Orbit and I havn't yet tried it out, but I notice that when it is automatic mode, I can pull the sheet in but not let it out. That is what I expected, but I wanted to know: is the only way to let the sheet out to put it into manual mode again? If that's the case I can see many capsizes in my future :p

Ok, I went out and tried it out today, and it worked well, except that it did not hold the sheet at all. I had to hold on to the rope the entire time. What's the point of it if you still have to hold on the whole time?

Ahhh haaa - - you are mixing up the ratchet action with a cam cleat. The ratchet reduces the amount of effort needed to hold the sheet, but you still gotta hold it. You can add a cleat to the works. With a cleat you will have more swim time in your future unless you adopt some personal rules about when to and when not to use it -- and you stay really sharp about what the wind is doing.

Be careful with this block. I installed it for a regatta last summer, and loved it for the 1st race. Right after the start of the 2nd race, the dyneema line attaching it to the eye strap on the deck broke. It made for a challenging race without a block at all. The stock eye strap on the newer Sunfish will slice right through the dyneema since that is the swivel point. I guess that you can replace the eye with the one that comes with the Ronstan block, and maybe that solves the problem. Unfortunately, the holes do not line up at all with what is already on the deck.

Has anyone used this block successfully on a Sunfish?

Be careful with this block. I installed it for a regatta last summer, and loved it for the 1st race. Right after the start of the 2nd race, the dyneema line attaching it to the eye strap on the deck broke. It made for a challenging race without a block at all. The stock eye strap on the newer Sunfish will slice right through the dyneema since that is the swivel point. I guess that you can replace the eye with the one that comes with the Ronstan block, and maybe that solves the problem. Unfortunately, the holes do not line up at all with what is already on the deck.

Has anyone used this block successfully on a Sunfish?
I don't race, but have used mine recreationaly for the last few years... less arm strain (on long sailing days) and i've kept an eye on wear and tear. Seems fine. I never liked the cleats. I like to sail, not swim.:)

Back