No racing at the Worlds today (Wednesday)

Due to a complete lack of wind, and a forecast for the same for the rest of the day, the race committee cancelled racing for today. We will resume Thursday with race 4. Race 4 was abandoned on Tuesday after about 4 boats had finished. The course had been shortened at the second weather mark after the wind had almost totally died on the downwind leg. The leeward gate rounding resembled a 1970's era demolition derby on ABC's Wide World of Sports. The wind was barely blowing hard enough to move the boats against the heavy current, and there was a lot of crashing - everybody wanted to go to the right gate, as the left gate was about 50 feet further downwind.

21 boats picked up Z flag penalties in race 4, so all will be starting with a 16 point penalty. In addition, the on the water jury was handing out yellow flag rule 42 propulsion violations like Lucky Strike used to give us GIs free cigarettes during the second big war. So a lot of boats need to be careful not to catch the jury's eye again on Thursday.

TUM

Reactions: tag
Hi, just got the Ben-Gay to kick in so I can type. As you may have seen, the first race (race 4) went off around 3:30. Strong current running north in a light southerly made for tough windward legs. If you went right the current was stronger and you suffered badly, much like Mr Drysdale suffered on The Beverly Hillbillies. The committee shortened the course after the second run so there would be time for another race.

The fifth race found the left favored on the first two up winds, but the wind swung right on the last weather leg aloowing a Master, Tom Whitehurst, to jump up to second. we got to shore and derigged in twilight.

Forecast for tomorrow is light. I haven't seen wind this consistently light since the 1952 Penguin nationals.

TUM

I haven't seen wind this consistently light since the 1952 Penguin nationals.

TUM

I remember it well; being a tiny crew back then, sailing a woodie...

BTW, what's up with all those ZFP scores (race 4); did the RC mathematicians drop their one and only abacus in the water?

We got in three races today. We hiked just a bit on the last leg of the first race, and quite a bit in some big shifts in the third and final race of the day and regatta. I would tell you more but I literally cannot remember exactly what happened. Congrats to Alexander Zimmerman. It is also interesting to note that the second place finisher was Colombia's rep in the Laser in the recent London Olympics. Scores are at spyc.org.

Until next time, TUM

Back