Next Step: Major Cockpit Crack Repair

Thread starter #21
Wouldn't that be the case using polyester resin, rather than epoxy resin? :oops:
Good question, L&VW, I was wondering the same thing. I was going to use Flexpoxy, thinking it would allow for flexibility in the hull. I will definitely use fiberglass patch in the cockpit tub crack, but like Signal Charlie’s suggestion of filling the crack before applying patch. The tub is already ugly from previous owner’s repair so I will probably sand and paint when done, leaving a bit of skid on the floor. Great advice all around. I love this forum-

signal charlie

Staff member
Yes we've seen lots of brown resin bandaids. Epoxy discolors over time as well, we've seen some epoxy putties leaching out some light yellow. Those need to be primed and painted, some will not take gelcoat.

Another key with repairs is to not OVER repair. If the area is structural like the middle of the cockpit tub, make an in depth structural repair. If the area is not structural, like the side of a Catfish pontoon, a quick surface patch is great and go sailing. I've often wondered if there was a premade fiberglass/epoxy band aid out there, peel, stick and go sailing.

Here is one of our favorite scab removals on VIPER.

IMG_2270.JPG

Heat gun and scraper, make sure to wear appropriate mask and lots of protective clothing. Decon before going into the house.

IMG_2275.JPG

Cleaned up and edges faired.

IMG_2277.JPG

Blind patch of cardboard, woven roving and epoxy installed. Then we built up with 6-8 layers of 4 oz fiberglass cloth.

IMG_2280.JPG

Primed and faired.

IMG_2731.JPG

Painted.

IMG_2741.JPG

Our buddy Dozer putting VIPER though her paces.

IMG_5076.jpg

Thread starter #23
That’s some impressive and inspiring work! I like your ‘peel and stick’ epoxy band-aid idea, too- bet it would be a big seller. I’ll be watching for you on Shark Tank!

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
I like the "before & after" shots of the hull, from "primed and faired" to "painted"---this is exactly why I go to the trouble of painting boats, they look so much better once a uniform gloss color is on there. Whatever work you've done is hidden and the boat looks good on the water. Use the right paint and it'll last for awhile... light sanding & prepping when she starts to fade, another coat or two, and she's like new again. :cool:

Maybe I'm a bit biased toward paint, due to living overseas for five years of my youth (1968-1973). My family lived outside Athens, Greece, but we were usually down by the waterfront on short trips & vacations, and those Greek sailors & fishermen always painted their old wooden boats in bright cheerful colors... well, most of 'em did, there were a few ugly boats, LOL. :eek:

I always liked the boats with bright colors, they turned the waterfront into a really cool scene, like something out of a painting... in those days, salty Greek fishermen were friendly to young American kids roaming the waterfront, especially if those kids were interested in boats. My pop was still with us then... as a retired sub commander, he'd always make a point of taking us to the waterfront. :D

I get the perspective of paint-haters, it can be a lot of tiresome work to prep & paint a boat, but I don't mind doing it... in a way, I guess it takes me back to those carefree days of my youth. When I had the Minifish all decked out as a pirate ship, busloads of kids on the boardwalk & Embarcadero in San Diego would point and holler, "PIRATES!!!" Those moments alone made every paintbrush stroke worthwhile... :rolleyes:

BEAUTIFUL DAY HERE IN THE WHITE MOUNTAINS, MAYBE I'LL GET A DECENT ACCEPTABLE OFFER ON THE HOUSE TODAY... ;)

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
I'm ahead of ya, the book is already written, but there are so many PC douchebags in the literary marketplace that it's a hard sell, LOL. No worries, some of the stories were already published anyway, and I've shotgunned much of my work across the web so it'll live forever... :eek:

However, I appreciate the compliment, I've always had a way with words, most of my stories are narratives but I've been known to occasionally tell a tall tale... especially where sportfishing is concerned, LOL. ;)

Maybe I should just call it fishing, we don't do it solely for sport, we BBQ everything we catch, LOL... I used to work as a deckhand back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and the freshest seafood I ever ate was aboard that fishing boat, big old albacore flopping around on deck one moment, sizzling on the grill the next. Delicious fare, I'll tell ya that much... I used to make sandwiches with the smoking fillets, using hamburger buns from the galley and throwing in mayo, lettuce, tomato slices, etc. Man, oh man, those sandwiches were the best, I'd wolf 'em down in record time, LOL. :rolleyes:

Edit: Uh-oh, Friend Doug the Moonshine Man is coming over to par-tay and BBQ... better don my Kevlar, no tellin' what'll happen when Friend Doug is around, the crazy b@stard!!! Good pool player, one of the best I've ever seen, he can make the cue ball curve around obstructions and knock in object balls... it's unbelievable. He's good at putting spin on a ball in just the right way when banking, tough guy to beat in pool, that's for sure. Maybe we'll take a little ride out on Rim Road 300 before we get started, he has a Jeep that can handle the trail and it's a beautiful day here. CHEERS!!! :cool:

Last edited:

Webfoot1

UV Rays break down all types of epoxy. They also dull gelcoat over time.

There are emergency hull patches you can buy that peel and stick
underwater. I'm sure they are not for long term but they might
be good for a weekend of Sunfish Sailing

Thread starter #29
UPDATE: A year later, this Sunfish is now light and dry. I took the advice of Webfoot1 and tried the Shoreline Method to seal the crack in the cockpit tub and the hole in the keel.
First I injected thickened epoxy into the crack, then fiberglass tape over that, then Marine Tex to level it out. All good advice here from SC and L&VW.
With all that reinforcement in the cockpit I thought about just patching the hole in the keel, but I wanted to get at the back of that tub and the back of the hole.
This boat was a true beach banger (see Alan Glos’ definition).
Signal Charlie, the name is Sandy. Lots of sand in the hull!
Here are some pics of the Shoreline work just completed. I didn’t have sail battens, so I cut 2 strips of fiberglass from an old donor Sailfish I have in the back 40. The dremel cut like butter. I feel like I’ve got a very solid repair. Next I will prep the hull for paint and paint the cockpit tub. The deck will remain original blue, with the exception of the off-blue repair I made around the mast step.

Attachments