Newport or Long Beach, CA

endkaos

I'm a new (used) owner and am planning a trip to Souther CA the first week in June. It's too hot here in Phoenix now to sail and am looking for a good place to daysail around Orange County. Any information/advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

~BHP

Come to San Diego to sail. Mission Bay is wide open and you don't have to deal with the polluted water of Long Beach plus ship traffic.

Places to Sail in Orange County

There are a couple of nice places to sail in Orange / L.A. Counties.
Newport Harbor is the nicest in my opinion however there is only one launch ramp at Newport Dunes ($15). There is a very narrow channel to get out from the launch ramp and a tow or motor is wise at anything less than high tide. I will know more after I launch there with my Omega 14 for the first time.

Long Beach harbor (L.A. County) is a long time favorite, it is beautiful and has access to a number of nice resturants. It has a total of 5 launch ramps. Avg about $8.

Dana point is pretty but a very small harbor and the currents can be quite strong. One launch Ramp $15.

Overall in order, I would suggest San Diego Mission Bay (your boat might become jelous of the America's Cup Boats that go there + a lot of high speed traffic.

Long Beach Harbor. Nice areas in protected waters plus open water areas for more challenge.

Newport Harbor. Beautiful harbor, houses, girls and boats.

Redondo Beach - (King Harbor)

Hope this helps.

No AC or IACC boats in Mission Bay but the Sail Bay portion of it is a great place to small boat sail. You can also sail out to the ocean if thats your style. No ramp charges.
Drop in at Santa Clara point.

Back