welcome! this Forum is an excellent resource - use the search function to look for old threads about tips/tricks and helpful upgrades and some of the simple repairs that are often necessary with a Sunfish of that age.

The "search function" is the magnifying-lens icon to the right of the lightning bolt. Type bridle, gudgeon, in-irons (or whatever), click "This forum", then hit "search". :cool:

There are many years of experience at this forum, a search should clear up most of the unknowns. The unknowable will take a little longer to be disclosed. ;)

Thanks for the welcome, I am having a great time doing the research, and projects on this great little boat. In fact I believe it’s a little contagious as my son and I have been doing this project, so now we are on the search for a second boat , so when done we can sail together.

Okay, we need to know her name and see some pictures! The Sunfish Bible is an excellent resource, and a little book called Sail Ho that turns up on ebay periodically. The Red Cross put out a nice book too, Basic Sailing.

But now I realize, do you need information on sailing the Sunfish or just maintaining and restoring?

Thanks signal Charlie, I need info on all of the above. So far I have been very successful using the search features, so I am not at a point that I have not found an answer to yet. This forum is awesome. Going find me some copies of the books you recommended. My status is back in 1972, I had some exposure to Sunfish. Fast forward to now I am 65 and am looking forward to the experience of bringing one of these boats back to its glory with my son. Also may look for a second one so we can do this together. As far as a name, still thinking. Thanks for your reply
B8C7307E-A2CA-48B2-930F-A99D97FFE1CE.jpeg

Great! Of course I have to recommend our book The Sunfish Owners Manual, lots of great photos from many of the restorations that we have done, a Chapter on Rigging and one on Basic Sailing, among others.

We had a lil yeller boat, named her BUTTERCUP.

Buttercup Casey.jpg

Thanks, your book is definitely on my list. Your yellow boat is beautiful, love that color sail on her!

Sail is probably about 70% , a couple little holes and faded. Boat has a bunch of spider cracks in gel coat. It did not look like this when I got it. I scrubbed her down pretty good. Boat was completely black and what looked like mold growth all over her. I then wheeled her out and put two coats of wax on her. Not perfect, but coming along nicely.

Looks like she's in your garage and cars are outside, seems like you have your priorities straight :)

Here is how you are expected to store it. It is very important to get the sock/shoe color combo correct as well as the rest of the outfit.

sunfish garage storage.jpg

Back