Newbie with rig and dolly issue

Dan Caldwell

Hello all,

Very new to sailing and lasers and just bought a 1977 laser after taking a few lessons. Was told all the rigging was included to get sailing but found out it’s different than what I learned on. Seems this is the classic rigging and I used the race version before. I attached a pic That I know Is wrong. I believe I’ve got the gang sorted now (i now put it from the boom dirrect to the mast) but not sure how they had the Cunningham set Up and what the Pulley on the mast is for? should I just use a normal line for a Cunningham or is that rig useful? Also unsure what Is up with my sail As it is about 16 inches above the boom? It’s like the sail is too short? Will this cause any major issues (I’m only a recreational sailor).

My other question is about the seitech dolly. when the boat is on it it’s stern heavy. Makes it difficult to work with when rigging, stepping the mast etc. Anyone have a good fix for this? Is there an extension bar to lengthen it?

Appreciate and help and look forward to learning more about the sport!

Dan

Attachments

• 215A49DB-A39D-4F2B-92E4-A862D8B48CB5.jpeg
    215A49DB-A39D-4F2B-92E4-A862D8B48CB5.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 82
Sounds like you have a full rig mast section and a radial or possibly even 4.7 sail. Either way that's not going to work.

Also sounds like your dolly is too small for the boat and not a laser dolly.

Well that’s unfortunate.... here is a pic of the sail. Anyone tell what type?
thanks

Attachments

• 4A38AA29-7D2F-4147-B721-6DA33154B330.jpeg
    4A38AA29-7D2F-4147-B721-6DA33154B330.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 80
Interesting. Looks like the top mast section is not from a Laser. It’s waaay too long. Although it probably won’t have the right bend characteristics, it’s probably hack saw time. But first, I’d go to the seller and see if they have the right one on hand.

Since it sounds like the dolly isn’t for a Laser you might ask for a credit for that too.

I agree with beldar. How long are your mast pieces? Lower tube and upper tube?

Thanks for the info. Can’t measure as it’s not nearby but I’m hoping the seller just gave me the wrong one. I’ll message and see what comes of it.

He had a bombardier invitation for sale as well (which I believe is longer mast) and I bet that’s what happened. There usually isn’t a pulley there either is there? Again I really don’t know. Messaged the guy and hope it works out. Will update with any news.

Many years ago Laser sold a bigger/taller rig. I saw one some ten years ago. I believe it had a longer 'upper'; not sure about that though.
Anyway, I hope that the seller can help you to straighten out the issue with the sail plan.

Seller said it was the original setup but is asking his friend or sure. Is it possible the outer mast isn’t sliding down the lower far enough? I’m hoping to have measurements later today.

Topmast length: 3600 mm max, including top plug but excluding bottom plug.
Standard bottom section length: 2865 mm max, including plug.

From the pictures it looks like the topmast might be too long: the bottom section definitely is. You're right that the block below the gooseneck shouldn't be there. The sail by itself looks ok.

The West Coast video is pretty good. Notice the clew tie-down at 2:47 - you don't have that in the picture and it's a fairly essential (and cheap!) piece of equipment. I'd also recommend attaching the vang cleat block to the mast with a swivel instead of directly (at 2:09):
2148-laser-vang-swivel-windesign-sailing-600x600.jpg
Optiparts Vang Swivel Laser

_

Hi,
New to this site and new boat owner! Jumping in on this thread. I recently bought a 2001 Laser and am in the process of reverse-engineering a plan for actually sailing it (getting a towing hitch installed on my small SUV this week). My question is this; what kind of trailer do folks with experience carting these around recommend?

Initially, I was looking at the Right-on Dolly/Trailer combo but an uncle asked me why just a trailer wouldn't be good enough? My initial goal was to make sure that I could take the boat out solo (I'm a woman, tall and in pretty good shape but still) so I thought the Right-on combo seemed ideal. But I guess as long as I can drive backwards with a trailer, maybe I don't need all that. I'll be driving very short distances at first but eventually, I'd like to be able to take it longer distances.

Any trailer purchasing advice? Thanks in advance!

Topmast length: 3600 mm max, including top plug but excluding bottom plug.
Standard bottom section length: 2865 mm max, including plug.

From the pictures it looks like the topmast might be too long: the bottom section definitely is. You're right that the block below the gooseneck shouldn't be there. The sail by itself looks ok.

The West Coast video is pretty good. Notice the clew tie-down at 2:47 - you don't have that in the picture and it's a fairly essential (and cheap!) piece of equipment. I'd also recommend attaching the vang cleat block to the mast with a swivel instead of directly (at 2:09):
View attachment 38550
Optiparts Vang Swivel Laser

_

So total length of top section is 3600 mm, total length of bottom section is 3250.... so I’m guessing it’s the bottom mast section that is incorrect (Unless I’m misreading what you wrote) as this is measuring each section end to end.

Hi,
New to this site and new boat owner! Jumping in on this thread. I recently bought a 2001 Laser and am in the process of reverse-engineering a plan for actually sailing it (getting a towing hitch installed on my small SUV this week). My question is this; what kind of trailer do folks with experience carting these around recommend?

Initially, I was looking at the Right-on Dolly/Trailer combo but an uncle asked me why just a trailer wouldn't be good enough? My initial goal was to make sure that I could take the boat out solo (I'm a woman, tall and in pretty good shape but still) so I thought the Right-on combo seemed ideal. But I guess as long as I can drive backwards with a trailer, maybe I don't need all that. I'll be driving very short distances at first but eventually, I'd like to be able to take it longer distances.

Any trailer purchasing advice? Thanks in advance!
The Trailex SUT250L and the Kitty Hawk are the ones seen most often at Laser regattas in North America. Both have good reputations. I don't have the Right-on, but it seems like a good idea because one can keep the boat on the dolly which is certainly convenient, especially when you are launching on your own. There may be purists that say that carrying a Laser on a dolly during long distance trailering might lead to some hull deformation.
I believe that in Europe similar combi trailers are quite the norm.
The Right-on is also a lot less expensive than the two other options mentioned earlier. But dragging your boat on its dolly when it's windy, or up a steep ramp after a long day on the water isn't fun.

PS: I have a Trailex and launch my boat from the trailer using my car in back-up mode. This works well on most ramps. However, when you can't use a car and have to cross a sandy or rocky beach to launch, it can be really hard to pull the trailer by yourself to get to the water. So you need to think ahead with respect to the places you want to go sailing.

total length of top section is 3600 mm, total length of bottom section is 3250.... so I’m guessing it’s the bottom mast section that is incorrect
That's correct (that it's incorrect). Your topmast is a Laser original (or an accurate copy), while the bottom is from some other boat.

_

Well I contacted the seller (who kept telling me that it was all original) and now says ‘well that’s the mast that came with it when he bought it’. So no solution there. I guess at this point I’m looking at cutting the top of the bottom section down to size. Any reason this wouldn’t work or would be a bad idea? Should I just look around for the proper mast?

thanks for all the help on this. Not a great first buying experience.....

And I’m pretty sure the section I got is from a bombardier invitation (explains the size differences and pulley below the gooseneck). Seller had one there as well but claims he gave me the correct one.... oh well. Lesson learned.

Well, you can always buy a new mast, but as with all brand new equipment, its cost would be quite a large percentage of the whole old boat: Laser Performance Laser Standard Lower Mast Section

Cutting down the Bombardier mast is a bit iffy. You most likely have to reposition at least two out of the three fittings (gooseneck, vang tang and bottom plug), and with most alternatives you end up with old rivet holes in structurally questionable places. End-for-ending would probably be smartest. You'll find the right measurements in the official measurement diagrams if you decide to do it this way.

Second-hand bottom-only masts may be hard to find, but of course there's no harm in trying. You might want to contact forum member sailcraftri as he always seems to have tons of stuff for sale :rolleyes:

_

Try putting out a want ad for "slightly bent" full rig lower mast sections. Bet you can pick one up for $50.00.

Second-hand bottom-only masts may be hard to find, but of course there's no harm in trying. You might want to contact forum member sailcraftri as he always seems to have tons of stuff for sale :rolleyes:

_
[/QUOTE]

Looking at the picture, aren’t the gooseneck and bang fittings at about the right height? I’d check on that first, and if they are within an inch or two of being correct, I’d saw the top off the lower section. If they are not close, then the end for ending may be the way to go. And a used lower would be best if all!

Good to know my options and thanks to all. I’m really only a rec boater so it doesn’t need to be perfect. I’m fine if the gooseneck and vang attachment aren’t perfect as long as it doesn’t pose any safety issues. Performance may suffer but that’s fine with me. This is a get me into the sport boat. If I ever upgrade at least I know what to look for!

I’m fine if the gooseneck and vang attachment aren’t perfect as long as it doesn’t pose any safety issues.
If you don't want to move the fittings, measure 1925 mm up the bottom section from the middle rivet(s) in the gooseneck fitting and cut off there. The boom will remain too high but at least the mast will be the right length for the luff then.

Or maybe you should wait until a nearby new Invitation owner wants a taller mast :D

_

Looking at the pictures it looks like you could cut about 10cm from the bottom and the rest from the top and have something pretty close to right.
If there is corrosion, flip it and cut it. Really easy job. You should probably flip the top section as well, especially if there are two rivets in the collar.
If you really don't want to do it, I have a slightly bent one you can have but the shipping from California would be expensive. I don't think UPS takes them.
New one $175 (Full Rig Lower Mast for Laser®) but shipping?
Is there a local Craigslist? You're close to Toronto and Kingston; contact the local sailing clubs or your class district representative.
Good luck.
E

Thanks again folks for the help and info. Think I’ll look for a used one and if that doesn’t pan out I’ll make some mods.

It's worth remembering the original radial bottom section was 50mm longer than the current length. It could be that this section was never shortened to the current specs. Does the bottom section have a sleeve inside?

Back