Newbie with hiking strap ??

Gene Reed

I just bought a 1989 Capri 14.2, sans hiking straps. The brackets for the front straps are there, but not the bracket for the rear strap. I've followed the threads here and seen the schematic, but can't figure out where to fasten the rear hiking strap bracket on the barney post. Maybe I'm missing a part on the barney post? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I just bought a 1989 Capri 14.2, sans hiking straps. The brackets for the front straps are there, but not the bracket for the rear strap. I've followed the threads here and seen the schematic, but can't figure out where to fasten the rear hiking strap bracket on the barney post. Maybe I'm missing a part on the barney post? Any guidance would be appreciated.
I just posted an add for parts for a 14.2. I have the chrome hiking strap retainer plate that goes onto the inside of the transom. I also have a used Barney post with the 3 unpadded hiking straps still attached also for sale . You have two choices of mounting the straps to the Barney post : 1) You can either buy metal hiking strap eye pad plate (15.79) from the Catalina Parts Direct website that allows you to mount the rear strap to the underside of the barney post by using a hiking strap bail (which you'll also have to purchase, $8.00) , or just melt or drill 4 holes through the foward end of the rear hiking strap material and place that end of the hiking strap under the 4 nuts that hold the swiveling cam cleat to the barney post. you might have to buy 4 longer stainless screws to accomplish this.

Thanks - apparently I need the eye pad plate and bail. Lots to learn, and buy, to get ready for the season.

Back