Newbie with a New Rope question.

Supergoose

Hello everyone. I am an amateur here compared to the rest of the members. I recently bought a 1960's Alcort Sunfish for 100 bucks. It isnt pretty, but it has all the parts except sail clips, and lines (halyard and main sheet). I bought the sail clips, but i was wondering about the rope (ie thickness and lenghts needed) It looks like they are probably different sizes. Could someone here tell me what kind of rope to buy? Im 17 and I don't have alot of cash to spend.

I recently bought a 1960's Alcort Sunfish for 100 bucks.

Im 17 and I don't have alot of cash to spend.
I take it that an $80 racing line package isn't exactly what you had in mind. :eek:

In 1960 the lines for a Sunfish were three twist nylon.

classic-sailboat-rope-130979.jpg

The Halyard went for $1 and the mainsheet with braided on snap clip cost $1.50.

. . . times have changed some.

Three twist is still around, but it's rough on the hands. More modern line is braided and most are much nicer to handle.

1505.jpg

The size and length you want is...

Halyard . . . . 3/16 in (5mm) . . . . . 25 ft

Mainsheet . . 3/8 in (9mm) . . . . . . 32 ft

For your boat and your budget I recommend a Double Braid Polyester line (Yacht Braid)

Brand Name examples... Sampson - Trophy, New England Ropes - StaSet, Yale Cordage - Portland Braid, Marlow - Marstron

3/16" . . . . $0.35/ft

3/8" . . . . . $0.45/ft to 0.98/ft

If you have a sailboat shop in your vicinity they should have these or an equivalent quality rope on spools you simply cut your line length from. On-line, check out some place like Annapolis Performance Sailing (APS)

If you are really tight for cash you could go with a single braid (regatta braid), but whatever you do stay away from the yellow poly-recycled chewtoy clothes line and even the limply braided nylon utility rope at the hardware store.

Oh, and the snap clip doesn't come on the line any more, you just tie it on ... or you can braid in a snap clip yourself if you like. Braid splicing instructions are available at all the rope manufacturer's websites..., but each brands braid is somewhat unique so visit the right supplier.

Wal-Mart sells a braided line (I think Coleman makes it) in the camping section that's rated at 200# load limit. I think that would be your best bet for the mainsheet at least; I think it came in 3/8 but not sure about the 3/16. Like Wayne said, avoid clothesline, especially the kind that has a cotton sheath and nylon strands underneath. The sheath has a tendency to part with the nylon and you won't be able to hold the nylon strands without them slipping.

Hey Super G,
Send me a note offline and I have an old mainsheet that was replaced that you can have.
d i n g h y o n e at att dot net
We are all here to help you new guys get the "fish fever" like we have......
C.P. Burks
Fort Worth, Texas

Back