Newbie saying Hello

Allatoona

I just purchased my first Capri 14.2 yesterday. I have been sailing my Catalina 22 (1984 swing keel) for 3 years on Lake Allatoona in Georgia. I've been lurking on this site for about a week now.

We had several skippers from our local club participating in a Sea Scouts/ Boy Scouts event, where we were teaching boy scouts how to sail on small boats. I sailed a Mod I for 3 hours and loved it. We were getting some frequent gusts on the lake from the outer bands of the Fay hurricane. I did not turn over, but we did get water over the rail a couple of times.

I realized that sailing the small boat was a lot more exciting than my bigger Catalina 22 I decided to buy one. I found someone in my club that was selling her 1989 Mod II, I had to purchase it. I checked it out yesterday, it looks almost brand new. It has a couple of scratches that any 19 year old boat might have, but the sails are not even faded.

I'm keeping my big boat for the really cold days and the really hot days (bimini top for shade), and I'll use the Capri for the other days.

BTW - I raced this weekend on my 22 with two rookie Sea Scouts for crew. I beat the J24 in the first race by 1 minute (Corrected times, of course). The J24 even flew a spinnaker on one leg of the 3 lap race. I also stuck the rail in the water on one big gust, I don't think my crew enjoyed it very much though. I finished 2nd behind the J24 in the 2nd race. I beat out the Hunter 31 and the two other Catalina 22's in both races.

-Robert
1984 Catalina 22 with many mods
1989 Capri 14.2 completely stock... for now.
Webmaster and racer for "South Winds Sailing Club"
http://sailswsc.org/

Welcome to the club! As you can attest, it isn't just newbies that sail these! This is my first owned sailboat, but I have chartered, and crewed on up to 36 footers.

For a lively day sailor that is just a helluva lot of fun, these things are hard to beat.

I am mulling over purchasing a NEW Precision 18, and if I do, I'd have to trade the Capri... I really hate to give it up, especially since I put a ton of work into it this year.

Now that we have you hooked, we expect to hear ideas/suggestions in the postings here. About half the posters here are like you, experienced sailors, taking up the little boat as a "fun" option. Many of the lurkers, are those considering purchase, or just looking for ideas to improve their boats.

So post here, your experience will greatly improve everyone's use I am sure. I have already gotten a lot of my improvements from posts I have read.

Congratulations on your purchase. I too perfer small nimble boats to lead mines, just enjoyed a nice daysail on my Laser last weekend. Good luck and fair winds.

follow-up

I took the boat to a nearby ramp on Wednesday evening. I rigged the mast, but left off the boom and sails. I practiced launching and retrieving, it's so much easier getting it on and off the trailer than my big boat, of course. I also practiced turning it over and righting it. It's very easy without sails.

I also found that I couldn't get back into the boat. It wasn't a problem, because I was only in chest deep water. I had seen prior posts about others with the same problem, so I've rigged a strap inside the stern of the boat that I will be able to use as a rope ladder to get back in.

I'm planning on going back out tonight with my 8 year old son to practice turning it over and righting it. He seemed a bit nervous with the idea that a sailboat can turn over... I told him that you'll get wet if it does, no big deal.

I also found the mast has foam in it, at least at the top of the mast just below the hallyard pulley. That seemed to help prevent it from turtling, at least in calm air with no sails.

-Robert
Catalina 22
Capri 14.2
webmaster - http://SailSWSC.org/

Back