Newbie Questions

maxx

Hi All, I'm new to this forum and new to Lasering. I live on Long Island, NY and bought my boat last month. I've used it a half-dozen times so far. Having lots of fun.
I've two queries; the bung plug leaks when it supposed to be closed, is this normal?
And, my sail numbers don't match my HID # using the formula for the numbers from the manual I received with the boat. Will this be a problem for "class legal" status? Thanks for any help you all can provide. Maxx

If the bung leaks a lot, considering rebedding it with new sealant. Not a lot of water should be coming in from there.

As to sail numbers, do any of the numbers match? The last 4 digits at a minimum should match the hull number after the builder code. It is possible you have a class sail that is from a different boat. My boat has a class legal sail that is from another boat.

To use it for class legal events, you'll have to change the numbers. The numbers on the sail have to match your hull number. For practice races it will depend on the rules of the club.

Matt

Hi, Is this the transom bung or the autobailer bung that is leaking? (the one on the outside of the boat or in the cockpit)

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's the auto-bailer rubber plug in the cockpit.
Thanks.

Cool cool. Well in that case, the metal rod that goes through the bailed hole may not be far enough in to the bung. Mine comes right through the rubber and protudes a good few millimeters before it is watertight. Try pushing it further on to the rod while the bailer is open.

Can anyone else offer a better answer to this question?
I would like to know if others have had this same problem, and if so, how they cured it. Thanks.

The autobailer rubber plug has the metal rod from the bailer go through the rubber plug. If the rubber plug is not far enough onto the metal rod, then when the bailer is closed , the plug will not have a tight enough fit and it will leak. With the bailer open, push the rubber plug further onto the metal rod.

It also helps to put a thin layer of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the plug. Don't know if this is legal, though.

It also helps to put a thin layer of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the plug. Don't know if this is legal, though.

I wish there was a huge smilie that's rolling all over the page to express my reaction to this comment :) :) :)

Back