Newbie question on rigging/launching

There are many rigging videos on YouTube but these show the complete process.

In the situation of for example onshore wind do I understand correctly you rig everything but the main sheet before launching and fit the sheet from within the boat?

I was taught in sailing school to fit the boom after launching and orienting the boat in the direction of the wind, but fitting a clew strap ( and even the block with hook) from within the boat is a major pain in the neck. The school had their own hooksystem.

I asked at the water front but opions are not all the same. Any advice is appreciated.
Best, Duncan

In the situation of for example onshore wind do I understand correctly you rig everything but the main sheet before launching and fit the sheet from within the boat?
That's what I do. You thread the sheet through all the blocks except the traveller block, and tie a slipknot at the end. The boom can rotate through 360° and you can launch the boat stern first. You can even sail with the 1:1 sheet for a short distance and then thread the sheet through the traveller block and the boom block becket. Of course, the harder it blows the trickier the last part is to do, but it hasn't failed yet :D
The other way (which most do) is to rig everything ready and launch bow first. You might need some help with the trolley, through.
I was taught in sailing school to fit the boom after launching ...
Well... no. Just no.

You want to have all the control lines attached and rigged up, but slack, when you launch. It's just impossible to get them all set properly out on the water, particularly if there is any breeze at all. Good advice from LaLi on configuring the mainsheet to allow free mast rotation while you launch.

I was at a big regatta once (CORK) when the wind was quite variable during launch. I left my mainsheet off until I got to the ramp, then stopped to attach it. The ramp manager got testy with me because I "didn't have my boat rigged up".

Watching the Olympic sailors leave shore yesterday on TV, all launched their boats bow-first in the onshore wind. But of course they did have quite a few helping hands for the trollies!

Most had their sheets all rigged in the boat park, but a couple (Ashley Stoddart and Alison Young) had theirs completely unattached to the boom, before rigging them at the last moment before pushing the boat in the water.

Most also had, as expected, their rudders semi-fixed in the down position. Interestingly enough, at least Marit Bouwmeester (who is the most likely to win women's gold today) and Alison Young had their rudders kick-upping.

On a related matter: I found out that some people step the mast and then attach the boom, and others basically assemble the rig on the ground. In the latter case it seems to be:
1) assemble mast
2) put sail on mast
3) install boom and attach clewstrap
4) install kicker/vang
5) install outhaul (partially)
6) install cunningham (partially)
7) erect complete rig and put it on the boat.

I understand the reason is that this will minimize the time the sail is just flapping around in the wind.

Any preference from your side on this in the air/on the ground assembly of the rig?

Best,
Duncan

I've never seen anybody rig everything then step the mast. Always (battens in), sail on mast (any wind indicators fitted to top of mast/sail) and step it. That way you can wheel the boat around to the top of the slip without worrying about the wind direction as the sail happily flaps in any direction. Then at top of slip attach boom, etc. read to launch.

I'm always happy to consider alternatives but the idea of attaching boom would seem to add complications and give no advantages (that I can see).

Ian

I didn't know I disagreed with Jon Emmett on so many things.

(Sure he'd sail circles around me in all conditions, but does that make his way of rigging the boat any better?)

I didn't know I disagreed with Jon Emmett on so many things.

(Sure he'd sail circles around me in all conditions, but does that make his way of rigging the boat any better?)
I am sure Jon is in better shape than most of us. And he was probably rigging a Radial. But, as should be pretty clear by now, I have never seen anybody pick up a rig like Jon in that video.

With any decent breeze, it will be real hard to keep the boat bow to wind form the rear while you fumble with the rudder. The rudder kicks up for a reason, so I see no reason not to attach it before you launch. The rudder nut can be sufficiently tighted to keep the rudder down until you get the lanyard secured, yet still allow you go move it by hand.

With any decent breeze, it will be real hard to keep the boat bow to wind form the rear while you fumble with the rudder. The rudder kicks up for a reason, so I see no reason not to attach it before you launch. The rudder nut can be sufficiently tighted to keep the rudder down until you get the lanyard secured, yet still allow you go move it by hand.

Our normal style is to keep the rudder down at all times and tighten the bolt. All you have to do is click it into the gudgeons. This is faster to launch, you know the rudder is always at it's lowest level, and there's no risk it will fall down and smash into concrete if the nut loosens up.

Different styles!

Like to see you try that on steep beach with breaking waves. Once rudder on in fully down position, to avoid it bottoming out in troughs you would have your head under water while trying to reach up and install dagger board. In waves I have to have rudder fully up till board in then as pushing off also push rudder down

Back