Newbie here...i have a capri 14.2

retrospect3

Hello fellow forum members,

I recently inherited a capri 14.2 sailboat. I don't know anything about it. I'm actually just trying to figure out what year it's from and what the value is for this sailboat. If you guys can point me in the right direction on what to look for, I would greatly appreciate it. I live in Palmdale, CA which is a desert area North of Los Angeles and I can't imagine anyone having a sailboat in our area. Thanks.

Marlo
[email protected]

Hello fellow forum members,

I recently inherited a capri 14.2 sailboat. I don't know anything about it. I'm actually just trying to figure out what year it's from and what the value is for this sailboat. If you guys can point me in the right direction on what to look for, I would greatly appreciate it. I live in Palmdale, CA which is a desert area North of Los Angeles and I can't imagine anyone having a sailboat in our area. Thanks.

Did you get any registration documents with the boat? If so, in Texas at least, they will have a "model year".

If there's nothing in the docs., the next point of reference should be the hull number which is marked on the starboard side of the transom, near the gunwhale. It may also be on the sail if the boat still has its original sails. I think Catalina customer service should be able to tell you the year of manufacture if you tell them the hull number, or the folks here will be able to give you an approximate age if you post the number.

Did you get any registration documents with the boat? If so, in Texas at least, they will have a "model year".

If there's nothing in the docs., the next point of reference should be the hull number which is marked on the starboard side of the transom, near the gunwhale. It may also be on the sail if the boat still has its original sails. I think Catalina customer service should be able to tell you the year of manufacture if you tell them the hull number, or the folks here will be able to give you an approximate age if you post the number.

Thanks...I didn't get any registration documents with the boat...i'll definitely look for the hull number on the sail or boat and post it on the forum...in general, are the capri 14.2 a popular sailboat? Sorry if the question seems stupid or odd, but i've never sailed before and i have no idea what I have.

Thanks...I didn't get any registration documents with the boat...i'll definitely look for the hull number on the sail or boat and post it on the forum...in general, are the capri 14.2 a popular sailboat? Sorry if the question seems stupid or odd, but i've never sailed before and i have no idea what I have.

It's a pretty popular boat - if you check http://www.catalinayachts.com/about.cfm you'll find #5,000 was built in 2001 so it's certainly amongst the most popular of it's type.

If you haven't sailed before then if you want to keep the boat you ought to look for someone or a school who can teach you. If you decide it's not for you there's a good market in pre-owned boats provided it's in good condition - posting photos will almost certainly get comments on condition.

Catalina's numbering system has changed over the years. Check this site regarding hull identification for the Catalina 22's to get an idea how it works:

sailnumbers .

For instance my HIN is CPSD 4871 F 001

CPS = Capri Sailboats (note: CTY means Catalina Yachts)
D = model, 14.2
4871 = sail number
F = month built, June (note after 1984 it is alphabetical A, B, C, ... L means Jan, Feb, Mar ... Dec)
0 = year built 2000
01 = model year 2001 (so if the last three digits are 899 your boat was built in 1998 and is a 1999 model)

If your HIN ends in a letter, then it is numbered with a system used from 1975 to 1984; check the above link.

I hope this can get you started on identifying your boat. (... I hope this is correct for our Capri's since I really gleaned this from several sites on the internet).

-- Ed

I recently aquired hull number 1000 for free from Craigslist. I'm estimating the year to be 1990 since production began in 1986. My early Mod 1has a stainless plate with "CP 14.2 1000" stamped into it located on the forward side ot the transom.

If your interested, I recently found a great beginner PDF from UCLA's Marina Aquatic Center @
www.recreation.ucla.edu/document_preview.aspx?uid=2500

This Guide features the 14.2 as they use this boat to teach sailing. It is a GREAT boat to learn on.

If you just want to sell you have come to the right place! But if you decide to keep it you will find this Forum to be an invaluable source of information. I was very fortunate to have been able to find a boat that is still in production and parts are readily available (we'll except for my rudder that is being made at the Largo factory that required 4-8 weeks lead time!). Good luck either way! Post some pics!

I must be way off on my estimation of 1990 for my Capri if Greg's hull number is 1987. Greg, Is your hull number on a stainless plate on the forward side of the transom?

The plate on the inside of the transom says it is hull #1688, it also has that number on the mainsail. I was told it was a 1987 model when I bought it and the DMV states that as well. It is a model 1, with the removable wooden hatch cover in the front.

Back