Newbie - Front handle + other observations

JPitman

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the Sunfish Forum.
We have had a late sixties Sunfish in the family since about 74 and I'm just beggining to reapreciate this little boat. I went for a couple of white knuckle sails here in VT this labor day weekend and had a ball. I flipped it twice - lost a cell phone, a pair of binoculars and a six of Hineken (all full - wasn't drunk). This was perhaps the first (and last) beer run ever made to the local store in an open cockpit sailboat. I should know better.

Anyway, there's a couple of things I could improve upon.
1. The shape of that front handle. I find it crimps my hand no matter how I hold it.
Is there an alternative?
I saw a photo of 2004 SF and it still had the same damn handle.

2. Has anyone toyed with a method for holding the tiller angle?
This would be especially usefull should you need to do something with both hands during a downwind sail. I wonder if a piece of industrial velcro laid out in an arc on the deck with complimentary peice on the tiller would be sufficient.

Thanks everyone for the great info here. I'm planning to check the weight and put in som inspect ports/etc. It feels to me the boat is well over 130lbs.

Jim

1. Not sure about 'front handle'. Do you mean 'bow handle'?

2. The idea of hook and loop (Velcro) to hold down the tiller is new to me. Other than an unexpected swim, it might be worth trying. Are you thinking about consuming that sixpack downwind? :)
BTW, most people use a c(l)am cleat to hold the sheet to free up a hand for other activities.

1. Yes, I do mean the bow handle.
2. Well, I only transport the six packs, but not a bad idea.
It would be be handy to secure it during a paddle out of a bay to windier reaches for example, or during setup. If I let that tiller flounder for a second it seems to default to an aggressive angle. I often sit on it if I need two hands.

Thanks for the cleat suggestion - makes real sense.

1. The shape of that front handle. I find it crimps my hand no matter how I hold it. Is there an alternative...?
When my bow handle corroded away, I used the existing screws, plumber's strap, rope, and a large recycled lawnmower starter handle. (A large dowel would also work. )

It's worked out pretty well so far, and I have to lift the bow up about 2 feet to pull it up on a dock. :)

2. Has anyone toyed with a method for holding the tiller angle...?"
Using the existing traveler eyes, I use a bungee cord and tightly secure the middle of the cord to the rudder using cable ties. It "centerizes" the tiller for me. :)

Back