New Versus Old Racing Sail.

squash

Is there a significant performance difference between a new racing sail versus a five-year-old racing sail?

A lot depends on the condition of the 5 year old sail. How much was it used, how was it stored, etc. If it an unused 5 year old sail that was left on a shelf then there might only be a slight difference but not anything that would alter your performance. However, if it was used on a boat over those five years than the sail has been stretched and the material has lost some of its strength and shape through use and the sun or weather it has been exposed to.

I have read (so it must be true) that flapping in the wind is especially bad for sails. This typically happens in strong winds when racers have to wait on the water for racing to start/continue.

I have read (so it must be true) that flapping in the wind is especially bad for sails. This typically happens in strong winds when racers have to wait on the water for racing to start/continue.
hmmm I'm gonna have to research that. I always just let mine flap in the wind when I'm chilling on shore at the lake. It's just a Neil Pryde sail, but it is brand new and I'd like to take care of it.

As noted above, there is no design difference in the North race sail over the past 5 years, but also noted, all dacron
sails deteriorate over time due to the stresses in sailing, exposure to sunlight and the resulting breakdown in the resin that
holds the thread in place and at right angles to each other. A 5 year old sail that was left on the shelf and never used or used very sparingly, should be just as good as a new one.

Alan Glos
p.s. I have a race sail for sale in the For Sale section of this Forum. Used twice. Like new at a considerable discount over new price.

Back