New Vang Block - yeah!

WestCoast

Got a bunch of new harken vangs in today. Looks like the long standing mumbling about the vang sheeve has been heard. We now have a new block shipping with the vang upgrade.

Customers had been having the 3mm spectra line jump the sheeve, I guess that might well be a thing of the past.

Old Vang Block

old%20vang%20block.JPG

New Vang Block
new%20vang%20block.JPG

Your local dealer, or stores with online shops should have them in stock.
Part # 10007 - $34.50

Make sure if you order it, you ask for the NEW BLOCK, hopefully the person on the phone knows the difference. I've got one or two sitting on my desk right now, and it's rather subtle when it's in the packaging.

i may be completly wrong but wouldnt just using a slightly thicker line give you the same results and be less expensive then a new block

There are a few things you can do to reduce the chance of the line jumping the sheave in the "old" block. One is to use a bolt instead of the clevis pin at the top where the vang key is, and tighten it down a bit to close the gap. Also, adding a couple of washers on either side of the vang key, so the vang key is always dead center in the block helps keep the pull on the line directly over the sheave instead of slightly off to one side.

If you think a thicker line will help, one trick here is to use a luggage tag splice on the end of the primary control line that attaches to the double block/w becket. Just due to the splice, when the vang is fully eased, the thick part of the splice will now be up on the sheave and it also makes the 12 strand line most of us use much harder to flatten out (which is how it is able to work it's way in between the sheave and the cheek)...

I usually throw on a spare vang key when racing in wind above 20, looks like the new design won't allow this due to the way they have bent the stainless cheeks.

i just said that because of what ive been told by some of the top can guys. about keeping the key in i just have a bungee and have it tried around the key hole preventing the key from falling out.

The pin isn't any shorter so you should be able to hang your spare key on the outside. Not ideal but you'll sleep better at night if you're really worried about busting the key.

As a newbie to Laser, what does the old block look like?

It's the first pic above - the changes are very subtle, look closely at the cheeks above the sheave and the width of the cheeks at the clevis pin.

Back