'new' used radial rig

jay_lord_hawk

I just got a 'new' radial, one from 2000 (or so) and I'm curious if anyone has preferences on what kind of vang system they have. My dad has a 15:1 on his full rig, but he never seems to need it. Is it worth having or is there some other kind that would be better? Any input would be appreciated. thanks

jay_lord_hawk said:
My dad has a 15:1 on his full rig, but he never seems to need it. Is it worth having or is there some other kind that would be better? Any input would be appreciated. thanks

Perhaps your dad is really strong? I'm glad I've got mine. When it's really blowing, it's still an effort for me to put it on. Can't imagine life without it! Maybe it's girly to have a 15:1 vang? ;) What do you say, guys?

Merrily

Get the 15-1, but plan on taking purchase out, especially if the ropes are tightly-woven. I use between 4-1 and 8-1 (taking out purchase) on any day that's not planing conditions. After that, i'll use the full purchase. You shouldn't use it all all the time, especially in light air, because it won't loosen up enough and there isn't enough feel to it.

Back