New to sailing

Good evening all,

Having just joined Locks Sailing Club, Southsea, I just need some guidance please. I have managed to reach the grand age of 35 and about to embark on my RYA qualifications. I have never sailed, and almost no knowledge of the right boat etc. So here is what I’m told by my racing club. I need a boat for the now, one that I can learn to sail on, enter local club races and gain experience.

I have found a very inexpensive Laser Fun Elite, which I know is two handed, but the owner said it can be sailed alone and would be ok to learn on. Can anyone advise me on this before I look to advance on the purchase?

Thanks

Ben

If you're going to sail singlehanded, then you get a singlehanded boat. Do not listen to anyone who says you can sail a doublehanded boat by yourself. Of course it's technically possible, but it's not very good sailing and makes it harder to learn (I can elaborate if you want). Lasers and Solos seem to be the most popular singlehanders at your club, so those are the the boats you should be looking for. I'm not familiar enough with the Solo to judge its suitability as an entry-level boat, but the Laser is widely regarded as an adequate adult beginner's boat. There should be quite a market for them in your area; whether you go for a Standard or a Radial rig depends on your weight (above or below 75 kg).

If you're going to sail singlehanded, then you get a singlehanded boat. Do not listen to anyone who says you can sail a doublehanded boat by yourself. Of course it's technically possible, but it's not very good sailing and makes it harder to learn (I can elaborate if you want). Lasers and Solos seem to be the most popular singlehanders at your club, so those are the the boats you should be looking for. I'm not familiar enough with the Solo to judge its suitability as an entry-level boat, but the Laser is widely regarded as an adequate adult beginner's boat. There should be quite a market for them in your area; whether you go for a Standard or a Radial rig depends on your weight (above or below 75 kg).

Thank you LaLi, that has really helped. I will keep looking.

Ben

I am not a sailor so take my advice with as much weight (or lack thereof) as you want.....
But....my son has been a member of our local club sailing school for years now and that means, as a parent, I have spent countless hours watching new people learn to sail. I would also agree that you need to sail a boat you can handle by yourself if you aspire to be a single-handed sailor. I have seen the odd person go out on a bigger boat that should have more than one person and they seem to struggle. Besides, anyone I have ever known to have a Laser seems to have so much fun out there!

Good luck on your decision. This forum is a great place for questions. Everyone here has been so very helpful to me.

Back